Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
now onto something a lil more fun, those tires are basicly sitting where we want them ET0 which is a quite substantial wide body, so onto some hack n slash mockups

its no wonder the sl/cs all suffer from rust in the front eyebrow of the fenders..they are packed with zybart, one crack in it and you end up with a permanent cancer issue from the inside out, its one of those shots of WTF was the factory thinking?!?!?!?!!?

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
so with a rough idea in head as drafted, and a fender trimed to a "skin" i proceded to "nip n tuck" it into a closer to reality mockup, of course the final will not be a V into the center but more of a 45-flat-45, but from the mockups its clear how it will look

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
the new rails hung me up pretty good, after a million tripple checking of measurements, alignment positions, setbacks for this that n the rest, then the odd angles involved, strength requirements etc etc etc, i went thru a few drafted designs a few actual steel mockups that got cut back up and re-drafted, the end result was a pair of twin rails extra long with plenty of wiggle room to connect fr0m header panel all the way to the back of the center cross member under the seats, a jig was made on 1/4 inch plate on my lift as a solid workbench foundation to get this perfect, i still need to make some alignment bars for final placement before drilling holes for mounting of the suspension as well as some minor tab work, the end result however will slip inside of the OEM front rails after some trimming of said oem rail so that it will get full welded down both sides

the end result will allow the new suspension to sit LOW while retaining FULL suspension travel as well as the fenders comming out and over the wheels, the plan is the suspension will bottom out just before the tires kiss the top of the fenders, and when i say top i do mean the flat section of the top of the fender, at the same time the body almost bellys out as well IE perfect harmony of a working suspension without the need for "harsh" springs or shock, tho of course it will be getting upgraded parts on the supra suspension

the steel used for the rails is .083 2inch square and the joint section is .134 2x5? or was it 2x6? so 14g and 10g, the oe rails i believe are 18g? so considerable beef

the final "rig to jig" setup was to find some used squares, mock them up in clamps triple check that nothing deviated, measure it up , take a level to it, and verify the design as square, then drill and bolt the squares together, re-check that nothing moved, set down onto the steel plate and weld in angle iron as jig "walls", the previous design called for only 2inch square, so a couple chunks had to be cut back , and a couple moved for the bigger beefier angle box, but the results speak for themselves

over the next week ill be adding to them

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
have some candy goodness, new hats for the 13inch rotors and BBK setup were adapting over at a hefty discount, basicly only into it a set of hats since we had a complete bbk setup, however the contemplation to goto a 14inch rotor is very very tempting and if memory serves would be about 800$ total?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is probably too much information for most which is why I don't post as much. Short and I talk almost daily about all the various tweaks, additions and changes regarding the build. Much of which will never be posted due to content size. For the most part we fine-line the most desired mods and work them until it's viable.

The BBK was a huge issue until we landed the hats that would fit the 13 inch rotors and calipers we sourced from Rotora and Girodic. Short had mentioned, we might go to 14 inch rotors up front with the 4 pot calipers from Rotora.

Fender wise, the preliminary sectioning/3 part layout is a rough exterior line with more refinement in store. Below is the first of many possible transitions including fore and aft wheel to body connections.
As stated prior, we do not subscribe to bubble flares, tacked on body kits or fenders that are not finished and hang off the body unconnected. Every line needs to have transition, flow and purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,071 Posts
Impressive work guys! You ought to consider installing a camera and pointing it to where the action happens, it would be a hell of a timelapse when you're done with it :)

"Every line needs to have transition, flow and purpose" - sounds like a motto that could be easily adopted by Pininfarina and the likes, love it! :)

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,732 Posts
That would be a lot of rubber. didn't relies you were full frame. No doubt a good idea.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,762 Posts
Look up "project binky" on u-tube for ideas for mass media publishing of the project... and could raise some financial support via parteon or crowdfunding.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,142 Posts
So far I am disappointed with this thread.

Since you always are working barefoot I expect to see a barefoot in at least one pic....just for confirmation.

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
So far I am disappointed with this thread.

Since you always are working barefoot I expect to see a barefoot in at least one pic....just for confirmation.
as dave spotted in that jig shot i am indeed barefoot

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,142 Posts

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
lopped n chopped a quarter, a whole lot more work than you would imagine when your trying to do what im doing

and found another slathering of seam sealer that would eventualy cause rust.....gah why

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
so, yeah its been a while since i posted anything, we spent alot of time trying to figure out how to pull of the nose, several failed drafts, alot of good ideas, at the end of the day, a 3d render artist was aquired and we went nuts, ill see if i can get some of his stuff posted

the wheels have been a HUGE hangup for us, as what we wanted was multiple companys touting the ability to make your dreams come true or "we can build anything, all of which had crazy enough price tags for my tatses, but all of them came up empty, either no willing to give information or flat out saying its impossible, the wheel in question is the porsche kremer 935 bbs race wheel, with MASSIVE stepped lip and tiny faces, the thing is, to many of us who watched these races in the late 70s early 80s they ARE THE WHEEL we remember on all the winning cars

obviously a single nut setup would never fly on the road, so we would need that modified, well we found a place in canada who said YES, multiple times and said yes at half the cost, and half the wait, were finalizing offset for "looks", but so far the renders look spot on and are pure lunacy PERFECT for the build

me i had some life stuff come up, between my motherinlaw being here for 3 months, my wife spending some time in BC and my mother being in the hospital for 2 weeks, its been crazy round here

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
oso in my availible time ive done a handfull of mockups, some worth posting some not, but ill just skip the trash, first up, the new brake kit is almost all here now, i just need to make caliper brackets still, 14+ front 13.5 rear, yeah BIG

the more we tryed on the front the more we were spinning our wheels in frustration, the new plan is more of a true imsa gtp wide body this was our last draft before finding the renderer but still shows the direction were headed

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,071 Posts
Good to hear from you shortlife, I thought for a while you might have thrown in the towel on keeping this thread alive after seeing the forum's been upgraded. Glad to see you're back and I hope everything straightens out in the family life!

121 - 140 of 163 Posts