Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
75, 280Sl /5speed
1,293 Posts
Just to throw another ingredient into the pot, M275, twin turbo setups, show up on E-Bay once in a while.

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
forced induction was off the table from the get go, we wanted to make the power naturally

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
so..keep this in mind ALL wheels seen untill told otehrwise are purely for MOCKUP ONLY and to verify sizes not even offset numbers, tho general placement outside the body is probably close to the finished reality

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
alot of serious debate of 17s vs 18s and 19s, at this point we know 17 is too small for the body, 18 is good, 19 is still on the fence but ONLY for the REAR 18s will go on the front

fenders are marked for a few things, 1 so me and the owner can talk lines, its much easier with each major line numbered, 2 engine and suspension placement, 3 cutting lines

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
the rockers were considered to get cut clean off the car but after ALOT of measureing and re-measuring and tripple checking, it looks like they will stay but get heavily modified as they roll under soo sharp they give the car the apearance of being a mile off the ground

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
a few suspension rough mockups before i found the only easy way to make this happen was to make new rails

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
more wheel works, and btw thats a 305/19 stuffed under the rear of the car, the double barrel no face is a 14x19 the 5 star is a porsche 911 11x18

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
car had to come out of the shop but it got us a chance to see it real low, were looking for 5 inches of TOTAL ground clearance from the lowwest point, also visited larger headlights, and pre- sheered a rear quarter panel down in preperation of wide body

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,752 Posts
car had to come out of the shop but it got us a chance to see it real low, were looking for 5 inches of TOTAL ground clearance from the lowwest point, also visited larger headlights, and pre- sheered a rear quarter panel down in preperation of wide body

Nice, Lotta Rubber

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,103 Posts
You made my day Sh0rtlife which otherwise was crappy! Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing - you've some mad skillset which makes me jealous. It will be hell of a car when you're finished :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,151 Posts

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
heres a slight step back in the time line..a mock of the suspension and some rough guess wheels, this was just after picking the slc but before finding one, but ive been sitting on the suspension 6 years?

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
ive been sitting on a set of wheels for a 911 a buddy gave me not long before we lost him to cancer, he helped us thru another build as well, funny and fitting he is helping us still with parts and stuff he sent me over the years, never thought id find a use for these wheels, couldnt sell em, ....

took em apart and managed to make a mock up 19x14 barrel for that 345 thats on its way from summit
between the barrels n shells ive got 2 7 shells, 2 6 shells, 2 4.5 faces, 2 3 faces, making for a nice combination of test 19s to make sure we order the right size wheels

so forgive any current tire/wheel you see as they are purely mockup, ill let you know when the tires arrive , however i have all the sizes and number covered so i can mock on the fly to figure out placement, fitment, offset, cuts, clearance etc etc etc

on a side note, fronts have change from 18 to 19 due to a backorder till OCTOBER?!?!?!!?!?

back in the shop, blocking and testing for correct stance

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,103 Posts
I think you've enough materials sh0rtlife to turn this into a TV show on Netflix :D

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
these will look like the same shots but they are not, note the blocks, ground clearance stance check, 3inch, 4inch, 5inch

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
single posting these is a huge pain and imgur isnt maintaining order, we settled on 4 front 5 rear at rocker jack edge, imgur order is 5, 3, 4, just as a referance(just note the blocks)

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
now, remember im building a wide body, these cuts are un-important and only for visual referance and verification of tire sizes, what you see hanging out of the body WILL be covered with new body, so take the shots knowing this will be the new line way out here, and the old body will get cut even more for clearance

·
Registered
yet to be determined
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
i am rather impressed at how well a big tire could be made to fit with little effort, heres a 305 19 wedged in after the cut, note the fit

81 - 100 of 163 Posts