Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
S600L, 500CL, 560SL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VIN is WDB1400571A270897 and first reg. in Japan 1998 August. I am unable to verify the actual year of production etc. as the russian vin decoder is down. Posting the pix. of the center console here. This has two piece wood set up as in early models. Removed the ashtray wood cover and the left torx screw thru the ashtray apature, but the right torx screw keeps on turning without coming out. So I am unable to lift the front of wood piece. Posting this thread hoping someone has gone thru the drill with this set up and knows the best way to get over this situ. Cutting the head off, try pulling out with a vice-grip or any otherway??? Gone thru all past threads and more and see nothing like this anywhere. Any knowledgeable suggestions/advise will be appreciated. Thanx for same in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,663 Posts
nice, i think its a 97 model

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,533 Posts
Looking at that Pic it dosnt look like that the Navigation unit is secured to the front panel of the Wood but the Wood is just placed over it leaving the Nav behind it,so i can only ASUME that if you take out the 2 little Scews under the front of the Ashtray that it will come loose ,your Shifter is a Twist & Turn take of but more to that if you can Confirm what i added here .
Ciao :thumbsup:

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,533 Posts
That spinning thorx screw is gonna a be a big Problem for you as the little Hexagon Nut behind it has lost the force in its surounding Plastic and has come loose ,there is no way for you to take it out without braking it ,i had a console here like that and even behing out of the Car i still had major Dramas to take that Bastard of a Nut out ,since you obviously dont want to brake the Console there as the Burlwood just Cracks so easily you may need to take a bit more appart than what you think .
Anyway ,have a look at these Pictures and you hopefully find a Way ,this is with the Console of with the same Problem what you have there ,notice the little Cut in one side of the Hole where the Hexagon Scew was .Your Console would be exactly the same like this one from underneat exept for all those Buttons there ,to wich i see more of a Problem with those ,than that Nut .
Try opening the Sides of the Console (Sidewalls) maybe your Screw is not that badly stuck and you could get some Grip with a Pair of Pliers or similar to get it to make a few turns .

Attachments

·
Registered
S600L, 500CL, 560SL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That spinning thorx screw is gonna a be a big Problem for you as the little Hexagon Nut behind it has lost the force in its surounding Plastic and has come loose ,there is no way for you to take it out without braking it ,i had a console here like that and even behing out of the Car i still had major Dramas to take that Bastard of a Nut out ,since you obviously dont want to brake the Console there as the Burlwood just Cracks so easily you may need to take a bit more appart than what you think .
Anyway ,have a look at these Pictures and you hopefully find a Way ,this is with the Console of with the same Problem what you have there ,notice the little Cut in one side of the Hole where the Hexagon Scew was .Your Console would be exactly the same like this one from underneat exept for all those Buttons there ,to wich i see more of a Problem with those ,than that Nut .
Try opening the Sides of the Console (Sidewalls) maybe your Screw is not that badly stuck and you could get some Grip with a Pair of Pliers or similar to get it to make a few turns .
merc s500, Thank you sooooooooo very much. This is exactly the pics and saga I was hoping for. Now I know exactly where I stand, I will tackle the B........Will keep you posted too. Thank you again.

·
W140 Moderator
7,533 Posts
Look at the Ashtray Surounding ,it holds only 4 Scews ,and that Spinning Thorx Screw is Bolted to that Part ,if you somehow could manage to take those out ,your Problem would be half as dificult ,even by Braking the Ashtray you only would need to find another Ashtray from a donor Car as it is glued onto the back and it is only 1 little piece ,easy replacement .
I would do anything what comes to mind not to brake the TOP Console as she is verry Rare if not impossible to find at all (or MB $$$$$ , the Bottom is not a Problem to find even without those Holes where all those Buttons go,they are already Pree cut in other consoles anyway .
Noitce Picture 4 (back of Console Wood) ,Button Holes are Precut ,so is the Bottom Part .

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,533 Posts
I try'd even gluing that scew in to get that Grip but thats a no go .If everything fails for you i would brake the Bottom Part ,take a look how other bottom Consoles look like ,this one is the original from my S500 . The Black Plastic is Preecut but not the Wood behind it ,sometimes there are good once on Ebay with a lot of Button holes .

Attachments

·
Registered
S600L, 500CL, 560SL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice, i think its a 97 model
Thanx. With the russian vin decoder down, I am at loss for the exact year. Anyways I am parting it out. I see you have a 96. I personally drive a 93/4 fully loaded. Only 42k Kms yet. Can't let it go after such a long love affair.

Attachments

·
Registered
S600L, 500CL, 560SL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I try'd even gluing that scew in to get that Grip but thats a no go .If everything fails for you i would brake the Bottom Part ,take a look how other bottom Consoles look like ,this one is the original from my S500 . The Black Plastic is Preecut but not the Wood behind it ,sometimes there are good once on Ebay with a lot of Button holes .
I tried to get the whole center console out. Since I am parting out this car anyways, extra work will not be wasted. Took the 4 T50 torx head bolts out and tried to lift , but seems something is holding in the center. Took the side panels and carpet out on both sides after removing the seats. However I see no attachments to the floor pan. Hence I think it must be held on to the gear selector assy.??? Any idea ??? Thanx in advance for your time. I might remove the whole dash as well to get the front loose. Already got the steering wheel, all behind it and trying to pull the cluster out with Merc tools,with no grip so far.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
If you're talking about the entire console, not just the wood trim at this stage there are the two bolts down by the gear shifter and then other bolts at the rear where the rear AC is.

There is also a cable which attaches to the rear aircon - that might be that's causing you trouble.

·
Registered
S600L, 500CL, 560SL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're talking about the entire console, not just the wood trim at this stage there are the two bolts down by the gear shifter and then other bolts at the rear where the rear AC is.

There is also a cable which attaches to the rear aircon - that might be that's causing you trouble.
I got the 4 bolts in the rear and able to lift the rear, but do not see the two bolts you mention by the gear shift as I am doing this with the center console wood attached. Do you know if I can get to those two bolts from the side as I have the carpets removed n abt 2inch opening both sides. Or will it lift up with the gear shift assy. if I removed the 4 allen head bolts and connection from under the car??? I do not think it is a cable holding the unit down at this juncture since it is pretty tight in the center with no play. Thanx in advance for your input.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I think you have to remove the wood. The cable is under the arm rest. If you have the self contained rear climate control then the cable might not be there. It is for W140's that have the standard rear AC so that the vent can be shut off from the front.

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
VIN is WDB1400571A270897 and first reg. in Japan 1998 August. I am unable to verify the actual year of production etc. as the russian vin decoder is down.
First, lets establish the year roughly.

If we sum up the numbers from, year by year;
Neue Seite 1
we get the production year as sometime in 1995.
That rules out 1998 by large margin, if the serial number is correct.

According to same site;
Modellgeschichte
it is possible, if the car is from after september 1995, to have
the 722.6 transmission.

Also, after that date, more precise at 28.august 1995 (according
to WIS), the wood console is now of a one-piece design.

Now, shopcarpro, I take it that you have released the back part
of the console, that is fastened by a spring loaded wedge?;

and that you have removed the plastic surround of the gearshifter?

Some of my cars, do not remember which, but both are one piece wood,
did not have the bottom of the astray fastened, but I see where its supposed to
be done;

More images here;
Index of /~syljua/merc/console

Do not know if this helps, but at least we have a more firm status on year
and kind of wood now?

If you still think its the bottom of the ashtray that sticks, I agree with
merc s500, that you should sacrifice the ashtray. Perhaps cut it with a multi tool
blade, like a Fein Master down the hole?;

br,
syljua

·
Registered
S600L, 500CL, 560SL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you have to remove the wood. The cable is under the arm rest. If you have the self contained rear climate control then the cable might not be there. It is for W140's that have the standard rear AC so that the vent can be shut off from the front.
 Yes, this is a self contained unit, hence no cable connection from front. Attach pic. Thanx.

Attachments

·
Registered
S600L, 500CL, 560SL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First, lets establish the year roughly.

If we sum up the numbers from, year by year;
Neue Seite 1
we get the production year as sometime in 1995.
That rules out 1998 by large margin, if the serial number is correct.

According to same site;
Modellgeschichte
it is possible, if the car is from after september 1995, to have
the 722.6 transmission.

Also, after that date, more precise at 28.august 1995 (according
to WIS), the wood console is now of a one-piece design.

Now, shopcarpro, I take it that you have released the back part
of the console, that is fastened by a spring loaded wedge?;

and that you have removed the plastic surround of the gearshifter?

Some of my cars, do not remember which, but both are one piece wood,
did not have the bottom of the astray fastened, but I see where its supposed to
be done;

More images here;
Index of /~syljua/merc/console

Do not know if this helps, but at least we have a more firm status on year
and kind of wood now?

If you still think its the bottom of the ashtray that sticks, I agree with
merc s500, that you should sacrifice the ashtray. Perhaps cut it with a multi tool
blade, like a Fein Master down the hole?;
YouTube - Fein Multi Master - Best Of As Seen On Tv

br,
syljua
...Thanks a lot for your time and valuable input.
Yes I do have the shifter surround removed, however I am not getting any grip, when a looped steel wire inserted to pull, also I inserted a fine spatula from the top of the wood at rear and the spatula slides in free and moves from left to right as if no spring loaded mechanism. funny though. Another exception is the ashtray holder seems to be one molded piece in the vertical/upright part of the console, since now I can see from behind with the side panels removed. I yanked the movable ashtray portion already. I am trying now to take the dash panel out and see from the front what can be done. pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
S600L, 500CL, 560SL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking at that Pic it dosnt look like that the Navigation unit is secured to the front panel of the Wood but the Wood is just placed over it leaving the Nav behind it,so i can only ASUME that if you take out the 2 little Scews under the front of the Ashtray that it will come loose ,your Shifter is a Twist & Turn take of but more to that if you can Confirm what i added here .
merc s500, need your advise here. I have the left and right side mount bolts removed to take the dash panel out. However can't get to the center as I am unable to remove the center hold/sunglass holder. I see two spring tabs next to each arm of the cover (shown with the white arrow in the pic attached). Do you remember/know the correct procedure to get it out. I havn't pulled one out for years Mercedes Benz W140 parts. Thanx in advance. Anybody else know it - please post. Thanx in advance.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts