Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6 5W40

Took my car for a service today. They charged me for 6 SW40 AMSOIL EUROPEAN SYNTHETIC OIL. Is this reasonable? Does the B200 need that much oil? They must come in small bottles.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Your 6 SW40 sounds like some new super oil.......:D

Maybe they installed 0W40 or maybe 5W40 oil but I've never heard of SW40 yet.(but I'm no expert here)

They should have installed 5 liters in the B and not 6 liters. So get out and check your oil level ASAP and make sure that it's not overfilled.

"Amsoil is a great oil to use." :thumbsup:

My dealer had offered to install Quaker State or Castrol 5W30 in my B and I declined. My dealer would charge more for Mobil 1,...if you can believe that one. MB recommend 0W40 synthetic and that's what is best.

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
5W40 is good and Amsoil is great..........but 0W40 is best for the B.

CT have Mobil 1 on special from time to time but I've yet to see an eastern CT that stocks Mobil 1 ...0W oil in a 4.4 liter or 4.7 liter jug. If you drive a lot in the coldest of winter, then use a 0W40 or 0W30 synthetic oil.

Wallyworld in the US has Mobil 1 synthetic in 'all grades' in stock and a lot cheaper than up here.( I picked up a few 4.7 liter jugs of Mobil 1 at $22.00 on my last visit)

Motul or Amsoil or Royal Purple are still the best oils around.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Mobil1 or Amsoil are great oils, but too much of any oil is not good.

M-B specifically says NOT to overfill the crankcase. These engines are at quite an angle and you don't want oil going where it shouldn't. It may go past seals and increase oil consumption, etc.

Check your oil level ASAP. I made the dealer decrease the oil level because it was about 0.5L past the full mark. They were surprised, but I'm not playing games, they now understand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts