Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 4matic Wagon
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with this. Was working fine until I took out the changer/amp/PSE block to check if I had a Universal/bluetooth capable PSE (sadly I don't) I put everything back in, thinking I have everything hooked back up properly, and went on my way. This was about 6 weeks ago (Ilisten to the radio alot...) Anyway, I went to load up the cd changer today. It's getting power, but when i turn the system on (I have the COMAND unit with the screen) I get a "No CD changer" response, like it's not reading a CD changer as being hooked up.

What would do this? Did i miss a cable? The dealer says I "need a new changer" and that it was "coincidental" that it stopped working after I had everything out (right...) but it was working prior. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2001 E320
151 Posts
hey man....there are two cables that plug into the cd changer in the trunk...one is the power, the other is the fiber optic (orange or yellow - very delicate glass inside - do not make sharp bends!) ....with the error you are getting, it sounds like you did not reconnect the fiber, it may not be seated properly, unlikely but it may be reversed or didn't 'click' when you reconnected it in the trunk.... also check your cd fiber connections at the fiber hub.... good luck!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Typical response from a dealer e.g. replace the part. These aren't the best changers out there so keep that in mind because it might be broken. But I would follow the advice already given and check all the connections. The car is not "seeing" the changer so a loose or bad fiber optic connection is pretty likely.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4matic Wagon
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what i was thinking. even if it did break, it looks like they are pretty cheap on ebay. i wouldn't go to the stealer anyway. *sigh* i was hoping there was a "reset" or something easy to do! Thanks all.

Oh, where's the fiber hub?

·
Registered
2001 E320
151 Posts
...just start where you unplugged cables.... at the cd changer .... it's most probably the one causing the problem...

...attached is a diagram of the d2b wiring (note that certain wiring depends on certain options).... and also a d2b configuration bulletin ....

....unfortunately.... x2 the Musikmann.... if you take out the cd changer and remove the cover on back where the wires plug in, you will see a 1" ribbon cable... as old as these are, the cables become frail and may break easily, causing bad/random connection, or like mine, the printed circuit has lifted off of the circuit board - i.e. SOL, so i yanked the 2 lb. weight out of my trunk and changed the head unit! ....good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
432 Posts
I get the "no cd changer" message about 2x a year. I pop out the cd cassette and put it back in and it works.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
If you don't use the CD frequently, the lubricant dries out. That prevents the arm that pulls the CDs in from moving. Insert the cartridge while the radio is switched on. Leave the load door open and see if the carriage move from the one side to the other. If it moves, does it stop at each CD and pulls it in? If it does not pull the CD in, then the lubricant is dry. It sometimes help to give the player a few smart slaps on the narrow end opposite the side the cartridge is loaded while the carriage is moving. You may have to insert the cartridge a few times while slapping to get it loose again.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
That's what i was thinking. even if it did break, it looks like they are pretty cheap on ebay...
Yes they are. My car came without a changer and that's where I bought mine. Believe it or not, after having the dealer install it (I bought the bracket from them since mine didn't come with one) they installed it for free. LOL then I started having random problems with the COMAND and as it turned out the installing tech didn't know to use the Star to integrate it with the D2B network. Once that was done everything works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts