Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

6.0L V12

2083 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Peter Guenther
Hi guys! I'm new here so this is my first post. I have a 1992 600SEL and am just wondering what do you think of the engine sound? It doesn't sound all that great when compared to the M119 engine or another V8. What do you think?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
I think you need a custom exhaust with no resonators, just mufflers. If you have a V12, yo...

I think you need a custom exhaust with no resonators, just mufflers. If you have a V12, you should hear it sing.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I think you need a custom exhaust with no resonators, just mufflers. If you have a V12, yo

I think you need a custom exhaust with no resonators, just mufflers. If you have a V12, you should hear it sing.
Pardon me, but what are resonators? If that is causing the crappy noise, I get rid of them! I want to hear a rumble or some other noise (What sound does a true V12 make)? I love the 500E's engine sound!

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
Resonators are hollow mufflers that bounce the sound off the inside of it to cancel out th...

Resonators are hollow mufflers that bounce the sound off the inside of it to cancel out the sound waves somewhat. They aren't detrimental to power, but they are to sound. You can free up some weight and get some more volume out of the engine by removing them and putting a piece of pipe in place of it. I'm not sure the diameter of the pipes on the 500 or 600, but as I recall the V12 has a touch over 400hp, so I'd run 3" pipes and mufflers for the best flow to get more horsepower. Please, no one post with that 'you need backpressure' nonesense, every properly tuned high performance engine with 400+hp runs 3" pipes for a reason, power.
Haha, so off my stint there, just gut the whole system from the manifolds back, run large 3" pipes with high flow catalytic converters, 1 or 2 mufflers depending on the space allowed and muffling desired, and pick some tips. I can supply all of these parts at a great rate, email me at [email protected] if you need any of that stuff. You'll be very pleased with the results!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the info Dual 5Ls. I'll think of it in the meantime. I looked at a 500S...

Thanks a lot for the info Dual 5Ls. I'll think of it in the meantime. I looked at a 500SEL and the exhaust pipes are smaller in diameter. I'd say around 1/2 an inch. Anyways the car has 402HP which is plenty for me. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TURN THE ASR OFF? I've really wanted to do that!
Have you heard of a W140 having 4 exhaust pipes? Two coming out of each side attached to a single muffler. I'd like that but I think the spare tire takes up to much space.

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
You actually can't turn off the ASR, I've tried. You can suspend it by hitting the button ...

You actually can't turn off the ASR, I've tried. You can suspend it by hitting the button that has a picture of a tire with chains on it. Its made for letting the tires slip up to 25mph to get traction when using chains in the snow. Unfortunately, and kinda stupid, the ASR is incorporated into the whole throttle assembly, so you can't remove it and have the car run. If it was possible, I would have done it immediately :^).
I've seen w140s with two mufflers, one per side. The quad pipes are just 1 into 2 tips, so its a single pipe tip, with two tips on it, much like the stuff you can find for $40 at your local Schmucks. There is a Brabus S600 cruising around in Seattle I see every now and then, and it has a single muffler in the stock location, with tips pointing sideways, like the BMW e30s. I didn't much like it.

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
ASR equiped cars in Europe have an ASR defeat switch.

[quote]
You actually can't turn ...

ASR equiped cars in Europe have an ASR defeat switch.

You actually can't turn off the ASR, I've tried. You can suspend it by hitting the button that has a picture of a tire with chains on it. Its made for letting the tires slip up to 25mph to get traction when using chains in the snow. Unfortunately, and kinda stupid, the ASR is incorporated into the whole throttle assembly, so you can't remove it and have the car run. If it was possible, I would have done it immediately :^).
I've seen w140s with two mufflers, one per side. The quad pipes are just 1 into 2 tips, so its a single pipe tip, with two tips on it, much like the stuff you can find for $40 at your local Schmucks. There is a Brabus S600 cruising around in Seattle I see every now and then, and it has a single muffler in the stock location, with tips pointing sideways, like the BMW e30s. I didn't much like it.

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts
Re: Re: I think you need a custom exhaust with no resonators, just mufflers. If you have a V12

TROLL ALERT, Non MB owner trying to stir up trouble. ;)
If you think the 6.0L sings, you should hear the sound of the 7.4L[:D]

http://boykinracing.us/applications.htm

· Registered
Audi S6
55 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I think you need a custom exhaust with no resonators, just mufflers. If you have a

TROLL ALERT, Non MB owner trying to stir up trouble. ;-)
Hey, just because I love Audi, doesn't mean I don't respect the brand. I work on benzes on a biweekly basis, and truthfully I'm beginning to fall in love with the W220. But, until I can figure out a way to put a M120 7.4L into the chassis, I don't think I'll be getting a benz anytime soon;-)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Re: I think you need a custom exhaust with no resonators, just mufflers. If you have a

TROLL ALERT, Non MB owner trying to stir up trouble. ;)
Are you referring to me? I do have a 600SEL. Hey Dual 5L, I didn't know that that the Snow tire switch turns ASR off till 25MPH. I'll try and get some wheel spin. With ASR on, you can get a little before the triangle flashes and ASR intervienes. Do you thinks changing the tire width will slow the intervention of ASR?

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
Well if you're going wider, I think it wont spin as much :). There has GOT to be a way to ...

Well if you're going wider, I think it wont spin as much :). There has GOT to be a way to at least trick the ASR into thinking the tires are never spinning; I hate traction control, its really tough to get sideways with it on :)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate traction control as well! When the pavement is dry, I can only get a few little ch...

I hate traction control as well! When the pavement is dry, I can only get a few little chirps from the tires. When wet, you can feel the wheels slip for one tenth of a second and then ASR will interviene. I`m sure the engine will be bouncing against the rev limiter like crazy if I couls turn it off! There is an article about the actor Rowan Atkinson and his 500E. He said he shorted out the ASR and ABS by sticking a paperclip somewhere in between something.http://www.homestead.com/need2speed/testbed.html
I just found the site. I can`t find the old site.

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
ASR defeat

I saw a article or post, that discussed this subject. The brake pedal switch has two sets of contacts one for the lights, the other for ASR it was either short out or open I dont remember.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.