Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of months ago I bought ML500. The car was serviced by non-dealer and agent provided me the receipt for service done (basically oil and air filter change). Reading in forums, I found more on what type oil to use. The receipt states that Mobil 5w-30 synthetic oil was used. But I don't see that approved by MB. Is that a problem and should I get the oil changed again by the dealer (or self). I've driven about 2000 miles and haven't run into any enginer related problems yet. Still has 3 months of warranty left.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Couple of months ago I bought ML500. The car was serviced by non-dealer and agent provided me the receipt for service done (basically oil and air filter change). Reading in forums, I found more on what type oil to use. The receipt states that Mobil 5w-30 synthetic oil was used. But I don't see that approved by MB. Is that a problem and should I get the oil changed again by the dealer (or self). I've driven about 2000 miles and haven't run into any enginer related problems yet. Still has 3 months of warranty left.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Nice of them to give you the records. There are some 5W30 oils that are MB approved, but not Mobil1 in that viscosity. Check Wolfgang's chart if you want to see the whole list, but the easiest to find in the US seems to be Mobil1 0W40. Personally I'd change it, easy enough to DIY.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will likely change the oil over the weekend and use mobil 0w-40.
This would be my 1st time changing the oil so want to make sure I know what I'm doing. From all the reading, I find that there's no dipstick in 06 ML500. Is that true? If so, how can I check the oil level when filling in new oil?
I know I can check it using instrument cluster but I'd like to be able to manually check and not overfill.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts