Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Does anybody happen to know the torque spec for the 5mm Allen-head bolts that hold the injector clips down on a 380sl.

I just replaced my injectors, seals, and guides, in an effort to cure my rough idling, after spraying brake fluid on them made the engine idle even rougher. However, it's still idling rough, though not as badly, and I was wondering if maybe I didn't torque those bolts enough for fear that I'd strip the holes.

Thanks very much in advance for the info.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Mechanic's tight or as Nobby would say...half a grunt. As long as they are tight you should be OK...your problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mechanic's tight or as Nobby would say...half a grunt. As long as they are tight you should be OK...your problem lies elsewhere.
I would have agreed, except for the fact that spraying brake fluid on injectors 1 & 4 still changed the idle, though not as much as it did before. So I'm left wondering what, if anything, I did wrong when I replaced the injectors, even though I thought I did so correctly?

Any other ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I guess there's a possibility of the clips that hold the injectors are bent but I doubt it. You might try removing the fuel lines and clips to 1 and 4 and re-seating the injectors.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose that's the logical thing to do. But I'm now wondering whether I should coat the injector seals with a thin layer of gasket sealer to insure that they won't leak after I replace them?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I suppose that's the logical thing to do. But I'm now wondering whether I should coat the injector seals with a thin layer of gasket sealer to insure that they won't leak after I replace them?
Don't recall anyone doing this so you're kinda on your own there. Out of curiousity what brand are your new seals? OEM?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a smear of engine oil to install them .Dont put sealer in there .
I just started to wonder whether my problem could possibly be caused by my having replaced the black black o-rings that were on the injector holders I bought with the green o-rings I also bought, based on my belief that the material in the green ones was better. However, according to a previous post I found:

. . . the green o-rings that go over the sleeve on the injector holders are for the newer more squared off injector holder. The old injector holders, no longer made, had a rubber donut seal of black rubber. You should upgrade to the newer injector holder with the green O-ring instead. This is a product improvement and is less prone to separate and leak over time.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1445450-380sl-major-vacuum-leaks-please-help-2.html

AFAIK, the injector holders I bought are the newer OE MB holders, but the rings on them were black for some reason.

So, should I try replacing the green rings with the black ones that I saved? Doesn't make a sense to me, but a lot of other things I these cars didn't either:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
mbboy
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing