Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a 1989 560SL. I would appreciate hearing the experience of anyone who has owned one. Also, when buying, what should I look out for?<br> <br> Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I purchased an '86 a little over a year ago - I still enjoy driving the thing.<br> <br> Other than the obvious, oil leaks, transmission shifts ok, etc. ......... <br> <br> Make sure the deck over the soft top releases ok. If not used a lot they hang up - I try to put a few drops of oil on everything that moves every 3 months or so.<br> <br> Brake shoes & rotors - make sure rotors are in good shape.<br> <br> Air conditioning. Try all of the functions/controls on the dash.<br> <br> Maintenance records.<br> <br> Good luck! There were not a whole lot of 560's made, should turn out to be a good investment for the future.<br> <br> Stan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got a Tan '89 560SL with chocolate interior/top and love it....<br> <br> Dried-out gaskets needed to be replaced to fix the slow oil leak, but other than that, it runs great.<br> <br> Things i looked for:<br> <br> • A/C worked<br> • Transmission shifted smoothly while driving<br> • Shifting into 'D' and to 'R' and back to 'P' was smooth<br> • Brakes<br> • Rust<br> <br> New Radiator was a plus in this car -- the Engine temp doesn't budge - they tend to run hot & overheat with older cooling systems.<br> <br> We paid $19k and the car is super clean -- good luck looking...<br> <br> SOME PICS:<br> http://www.fishilens.com/gallery/1989_MB

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im looking at an 1989 560sl with a wopping 170000 miles. anything i should look for in particular other than a lower mile car?<br> r

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
560SL is a solid car, however, I still would look for lower milage -- unless that is you get a great deal. Look at the cooling system, transmission and rust. Rust is usually not a problem for these cars.<br> <br> Good luck.<br> <br> Bill

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just purchased a 560sl 1988. It does seem to run hot. I have not head the electric fan run yet. Does the raditor need to be cored? Check thermostat? Switch for electric aux fan need to be replaced? any suggestions? Thanks Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
parents just bought an '89

My parents just bought an 89 560SL, w/ 80,000 miles, all records for $15,000. The guy that sold it to them was a friend, but he basically gave the car away in my opinion. The body and interior are in great shape. I told them I think they got a steal!! I came up to visit them this weekend and the car looks awesome for it's age.

·
Registered
560 SL
3 Posts
What to Look for in an 89 560 SL

I have an 89 desert taupe 560 SL with 28K miles - cherry in every respect and a real head turner. Paid top dollar, but worried less about mileage than care evidenced by previous 2 owners, evidenced in records (if they don't come with the car, take a pass) and a solid, lengthy test drive in various conditions. Give a check of the subframe and trailing arm bushings, too.

·
Registered
560 SL
3 Posts
What to Look for in an 89 560 SL

I have an 89 desert taupe 560 SL with 28K miles - cherry in every respect. Paid top dollar, but worried less about mileage than care evidenced by previous 2 owners, evidenced in records (if they don't come with the car, take a pass) and a solid, lengthy test drive in various conditions. Give a check of the subframe and trailing arm bushings, too.

Whatever you get, treat it well, drive it, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am planning to buy a 1989 560SL. I would appreciate hearing the experience of anyone who has owned one. Also, when buying, what should I look out for?<br> <br> Thanks.
I have an 88 560SL for sale. 73,000 miles. Excellent car. No problems withit yet. New performance exhaust, new tires, new radio. Would like $19,500 O.B.O. It is in El Paso, TX and will allow test drive. Let me know.

Attachments

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Willeys

The two most expensive faults that occur on all the V8's are the rear main en...

Willeys

The two most expensive faults that occur on all the V8's are the rear main engine oil seal, and Automatics gearbox front pump oil seal.

Look where the gearbox meets the engine underneath.
If there is Engine oil leaking and it is not running down from higher up then the rear main oil seal is suspect.
Look at the front of the gearbox underneath for ATF leaking from the the vent under the torque converter.
If there is ant, this suggests the front pump seal.

Both jobs require the gearbox taking out.

Although i say they occur, they are not what i would call common.
[:I]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts