Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560sl
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed chain, 3 upper guides, tensioner. My mechanic said he could not change the tensioner rail ... he said many parts should be removed and almost engine out procedure?

1. Is this true about the the tensioner guide rail?
2. Should the tensioner guide rail also be changed or I can leave the old one?
3. Is it a big job just to change the tensioner rail?

Thanks,

Balsa

MB 560sl with 123.000 miles

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,958 Posts
Мени механичар рече да треба да се скине поклопац мотора (или тако нешто) напред а да се то уради треба да се вади хладњак и све шта се налази испред мотора. Не мора мотор напоље али најбоље да је на неком каналу или дизалици. Ти беше имао 500ку и колико се сећам, на њој све то ста мењаш није нужно и хитно али боље је све па да никад не бринеш. Ја се спремам за све то и мењаћу баш све.

Apparently, to access front cover (covering rail) all components ahead of engine have to come out.

·
Registered
560sl
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Djenka018 said:
Мени механичар рече да треба да се скине поклопац мотора (или тако нешто) напред а да се то уради треба да се вади хладњак и све шта се налази испред мотора. Не мора мотор напоље али најбоље да је на неком каналу или дизалици. Ти беше имао 500ку и колико се сећам, на њој све то ста мењаш није нужно и хитно али боље је све па да никад не бринеш. Ја се спремам за све то и мењаћу баш све.

Apparently, to access front cover (covering rail) all components ahead of engine have to come out.
Ovaj sam odgovor dobio na drugom forumu. Provericu sa mehanicarem pa sta kaze...inace kad sam promenio druge gornje plasticne klizace jedan je bio puko na pola...Hvala puno jos jednom. Nadam se da si dobro!!!Pisi ako sta treba na [email protected]

This is the answer I got from another forum:

"The tension guide rail does not require removal of the engine. Also the tension guide rail is the only rail that actually has any kind of real rubbing pressure on it and it is the rail that will wear the most. It is not difficult to change but you will have to remove the cam sprocket and alternator. This should be done." Posted by Mr. John Roncallo.

Balsa

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Balsa said:
Ovaj sam odgovor dobio na drugom forumu. Provericu sa mehanicarem pa sta kaze...inace kad sam promenio druge gornje plasticne klizace jedan je bio puko na pola...Hvala puno jos jednom. Nadam se da si dobro!!!Pisi ako sta treba na [email protected]

This is the answer I got from another forum:

The tension guide rail does not require removal of the engine. Also the tension guide rail is the only rail that actually has any kind of real rubbing pressure on it and it is the rail that will wear the most. It is not difficult to change but you will have to remove the cam sprocket and alternator. This should be done.

Balsa
Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember reading that there were upper and lower rails. The upper rails apparently could and should be changed at chain replacement.
Good luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
According to the Mercedes repair manual, the tensioner rail can be removed fairly easily. You need to remove the slide rail in the right head, the chain tensioner, and the camshaft sprocket. Then there is a plug you remove on the front cover of the engine, after which you screw a M8 bolt into the hole and pin, and pull the pin out. The tension rail can then be removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts