Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have narrowed my search for a used vehicle down to a 560sl, 1988 or 1989, likely. I would like to find one with 50,000 to 75,000 miles which I could enjoy for a few years before I restore the vehicle. I wonder what the availability of parts is like now and how you feel the availability will be later. I understand that parts are likely to be expensive, but am concerned that parts will soon be simply unavailable. For example, if I wanted to replace the plastic and rubber on the bumpers, will I be able to do so with OEM or high quality aftermarket parts? Weather seals would likely be another immediate concern. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Best Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgive my inexperience, I realize now that this probably should have been posted to the W107 subgroup. If it is possible for the moderators to transfer this thread, that would be great. Thank you.

Matt

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
1,343 Posts
I would compare 560SL

to an old Harley Davidson or BMW airhead. They are durable and popular and will always have parts available from many sources. I have had a 1988 for three years and have had absolutely no trouble with obtaining OE or quality aftermarket parts.

Fear not, buy, drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
parts are everywhere, don't buy anything made in china, kind of obvious but mind as well say it. They also make OEM. for older cars like these ALWAYS get a PPI done by the Mercedes Benz dealer. It's pretty easy to buy a good looking 560sl that looks nearly new, but needs a lot of work.

·
Registered
W107, soon...
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Interesting you should mention the China thing... I am doing my best not to buy anything from China. Had a hell of a time finding a replacement tire for my son's bike...

Thanks again for the info, guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts