Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm thinking that my usually (but not always) high idle (1100 to 1300 rpm) while in Park or Neutral is due to a faulty OVP relay based on what I've read via the search bar here. The symptom only occurs after initial warm up. I see them new on Ebay at prices from 35 to 95 bucks. I also notice several different pin layouts on the relays available on line. Can someone tell me the correct pin configuration for the correct relay? I'd simply pull mine and look at it, but I'm away from the car for today, and would like to order one for installation early next week.
Thanks,
John

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,341 Posts
From what I can find it will depend on whether is a California or Federal model.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bereng, thanks for the reply. One of the threads I found through the search function led me to believe that the high idle and the ABS light were both signs of the bad relay, but I may have just read that into it as high idle was one of the OP's symptoms. I'll check the fuse when I've got her back in my shop on Monday.
Rowdie, thanks also. How does one determine if their car is a Californicated or a Federal model? Mine does have a cat and a smog pump. As I said, I'm away from the car today but I'll be taking the old gal , along with the Old Gal, on a scenic road trip tomorrow (hopefully some pic's will follow).
John

·
Registered
300sl 1987
748 Posts
Yep, the OVP affects iddle akaik because it will also control the injection system etc.

But then you would have all the symptoms and not just the bad iddle.

Let's see if somebody more knowledgable tells us.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,341 Posts
I pulled the one from my '86 560SL. It is a 4 pin 1265404745. This PN has been replaced with 2015400845 which is a 5 pin. I really don't know how to tell the difference between Federal and California. It is just a note in the EPC.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
I pulled the one from my '86 560SL. It is a 4 pin 1265404745. This PN has been replaced with 2015400845 which is a 5 pin. I really don't know how to tell the difference between Federal and California. It is just a note in the EPC.

Overload Protection Relay; 9 Pin Connection; With 10Amp Fuse Protection
For California models. 1 per car.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for all the insight. Not sure how I missed Ears post, but it's a good one since he and I have the same year and model. Not sure either why I'm not getting any ABS lights, but maybe mine is just starting to take a crap, and not far enough along to display the ABS symptoms. I'll know more early next week when I pull the existing relay.
Thanks again everyone.
John

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the insight. Not sure how I missed Ears post, but it's a good one since he and I have the same year and model. Not sure either why I'm not getting any ABS lights, but maybe mine is just starting to take a crap, and not far enough along to display the ABS symptoms. I'll know more early next week when I pull the existing relay.
Thanks again everyone.
John
curious... sure the bulb is good in the ABS indicator?

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I believe a faulty OVP implies the ABS light warning flashing as it would cut juice to it.

Also, before replacing it check for a fuse near it which grows moody with time.
Both of these statements are good advice. I would STRONGLY recommend gold/chrome tipped fuses over the originals. Gremlins will otherwise appear.

The ABS light will be ON immediately upon start and STAY ON if the OVP is dead or a fuse is blown/not making contact.

·
Registered
1986 560SL 78k miles, 2010 GLK
63 Posts
Both of these statements are good advice. I would STRONGLY recommend gold/chrome tipped fuses over the originals. Gremlins will otherwise appear.

The ABS light will be ON immediately upon start and STAY ON if the OVP is dead or a fuse is blown/not making contact.
Agreed. I would pull it while its running. If the light goes on and races, its probably not the relay. Just a thought....how about a failing Idle control valve?

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Did you test the car to see if you have ABS? Just take it on an empty road and slam the brakes on at 30 or so mph. If the brakes lock up and the tires squeal you don't. You'll be able to feel when the ABS is working. If it does then like ears posted it could be the bulb.
On mine it was one of the wires from the connector in the engine bay to the sensor on the front wheel. Easy to test and fix. Spliced in new wiring and Bob's your uncle. I still don't have an ABS light but I know the system is working. Time to pull the cluster and replace some bulbs.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1630530-abs-warning-light.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts