Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560SL
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok -- I'd like to get some thoughts on the pros and cons of buying an original Benz softtop vs a good quality aftermarket softtop. Is there much of a difference? I have the opportunity to buy an original benz softtop for my 88 560sl, but the difference in price vs a quality after market is significant. Aside from being the real thing from Benz...are there other reasons to go with the original vs the after market? Is the extra cost justified and is the difference noticeable? Thx!

·
Registered
2008 C300 (sold), 1987 560SL, 2007 CLK350 Cabrio, 2011 E350 Coupe. ALL 040! :)
121 Posts
Hi, we just replaced the top on our 87 560 SL and did LOTS of research before buying. We ended up going with the ARO2000 top which was meticulously crafted and actually uses higher quality clear plastic than the original MB tops from what I understand. The guy who owns the company, Putt, is a really nice guy and will answer any questions you may have quicky.

He makes tops for all Mercedes (even the old grande dame 500Ks etc) and also is one of the head producers of replacement tops for Rolls-Royce.

That's my 5c. I guess it comes down to if you are really into having the star on the plastic window and the cost...

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
Do a thread search here. Nobby, Roncallo and MBGraham have recently done this. Also, I didn't think M-B supplied tops were still available. Is this an nos top?

·
Registered
1988 560SL
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MB tops in US

Chief,

You're right .... to my knowledge, there are only 3 MB tops still available here in all the US...they are now exclusively only available in Europe, I was able to secure one of the three...and it is bloody expensive. Hence, the reason why I put this out there for comments. Is it really worth having an orgininal MB top, or go with a good quality after-market top. My 560 has 75,000 miles on it, it is not a super low-milage car and I do drive it in the summer...one part of me says, who cares as long as the quality is good, while the other says, this is a rare opportunity to keep the care as close to original as possible.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,320 Posts
Doesn't make sense. If they are available in Europe why can they not be shipped here?
What is the price over there?

If they won't ship to the US what is to prevent one of our friends here from buying one and shipping it?

·
Registered
1988 560SL
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rowdie,

Yes, they can be shipped here from Europe... I was just told that they do not make them in the US any more...but there are a few (very, very few) still available here in the US. I was able to get my hands on one of those to avoid any shipping costs and delay from Europe.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
I can't imagine the oem top being worth any significant upcharge over the best that is readily available here. If you were doing a museum quality example of an as-delivered 107SL, fine. Buy one on this side of the pond.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,320 Posts
Made in the US? Never knew that.
It may be there are a few NOS tops here in the states. I don't know. If so they have been stored and folded for years. I think I would rather have one of recent manufacture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts