Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 (sold), 1987 560SL, 2007 CLK350 Cabrio, 2011 E350 Coupe. ALL 040! :)
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have no idea how we lucked out so much, but our 87 560SL has no cracks in the dashboard. (as some of you might know, this model is notorious for cracked dashes). Not sure if it was replaced by the previous owner or just really well taken care of, but we'd like to keep it that way. I've heard good and bad things about Armor All and frankly don't want the dash to look greasy all of the time. The car being a roadster will undoubtedly be exposed to lots of UV.. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Armor All can cause cracking. Apply 303 Aerospace Protectant to the dash instead. 303 blocks UV rays. Also use a windshield shade whenever parking outside.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Our Mothers Protectant is an excellent choice to protect rubber and vinyl such as found on dashboards.

Preserves and protects for 30 days! Mothers® Protectant is a penetrating UV blocker, effective on rubber, vinyl, plastic and fiberglass. Constructed to recondition and maintain the original condition and appearance of dashboards, bumpers, trim, tires and more. Protectant isn’t an oily surface-coating film. It’s an ozone and smog resisting, UV shielding penetrant — a preservation agent that works on just about any uncoated plastic or rubber.

#05316, 16 oz. #05324, 24 oz.

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
VinylEx - a Lexol product is also excellent. Contains inhibitors for UV and contains conditioner for the vinyl which is what the dash is basically covered. Don't use Armor All for anything. It has been known to seal the dash and the trap the heat in the foam which causes it to expand thus cracking the dash. Same for ANY silicone based products like Pledge, etc.

303 is great when the car is new and you keep up with it. But it will not restore vinyl just protect it.

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,555 Posts
Brett, I'm familiar with the sun in south Florida! Yeah, spray on protectants are alright. But to ensure complete protection of the dash, you might seriously consider a "dash mat". They protect completely, and really don't look bad. I'm glad I got one for mine!

DashMat | America's #1 Dashboard Covers

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 230 Kompressor
341 Posts
Einszett Cockpit Premium topped their Rubber and Vinyl Care Protectant. No cracking, great UV protection. low sheen, and very long lasting. Excellent stuff.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
I use Meguiars quik interior detailer. It works well, without leaving a greasy look. Also, you can get one of those sunshades for when you park the car. Would be the best way to avoid cracks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts