Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats it . . . my SL is running too hot so i've decided to change the water pump to a craig davies electric water pump (110 litres per minute). I've read this a much better for cooling and will free up some HP from my engine.

I'm also going to change to a 16inch electric fan blowing at around 2000-2500CFM.

Anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Need more info - your car has a aftermarket radiator and is over heating in ambient temperatures of ~45degrees C when its stuck at idle for a while in traffic. Right?

I suggested those changed in another thread about your car so yes i personally think that those changes will help alot to solve your problem, specialy at idle where the standard system is not at its best, but you will need to make sure that your fan can move those 2000CFM while attached to your radiator, alot easier to move that much air in free flow then pulling it thru a radiator

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need more info - your car has a aftermarket radiator and is over heating in ambient temperatures of ~45degrees C when its stuck at idle for a while in traffic. Right?

I suggested those changed in another thread about your car so yes i personally think that those changes will help alot to solve your problem, specialy at idle where the standard system is not at its best, but you will need to make sure that your fan can move those 2000CFM while attached to your radiator, alot easier to move that much air in free flow then pulling it thru a radiator
Hey Blufang . . . thats correct. The aftermarket brass radiator is in place now so not much i can do now without a cost issue but, imo, its nowhere near as efficient as the factory aluminium one and in this heat, this equates to a big difference.
During driving the temp hangs around halfway which is great (cooler months now) but as soon as i hit traffic, the temp gauge starts to head towards 120. Then i start to lose coolant from the expansion tank despite having the correct pressure cap. During cooler days now, its not too bad but i need to address this issue before summer kicks in next year.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also Blufang, even though the electric fan specs may indicate 2000-2500CFM, it may be much less in practice. That said, this surely has got to be a better output than the standard fan?
Anyone know how much CFM the factory fan puts out?

·
Registered
350 Posts
hi guys now it not that simple about CFM and waterpumps first a warning . is that if you mount a davies craig pump well sounds nice right ? but there will be water cavitation in your cooling system and there will be risk for even agravating the problem you got so there is no time for the water to stay cooled by the radiator the water speed is to fast and you will be getting even moore heating problems , dont replace a bigger fuse without solve the real fact problem , the stock fan in a say 450se will produce 3900CFM airflow and thats not horse shit i can tell so you must have some other problem im afraid . the best thing you can do is to replace the whole radiator to a big griffin cooler like i did , and i can stay for idle 1 houer and never get more than 95 degrees in the warmest sommer and i use a 2 18 inch electric fan from SPAL it produce 3500CFM each and removed the stocl fan couse i supercharged my SLC thats wy the IC takes to much space how ever since that never ever got it to warm .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts