Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 560sl has a small amount of fuel visible under the battery in the trunk. I’m looking for a schematic of the vent line system in the trunk to troubleshoot the issue. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,260 Posts
Hi @wcbaker62.

The FSM (linked in the sticky) will have the info you're looking for.

However, it sounds like you might have over-filled your fuel tank. The easiest solution is to simply blow compressed air into the rubber line that connects to your charcoal canister with the fuel cap removed.

Your charcoal canister sadly lives in a location that is a bit of a pain in the butt to access. You will have to remove the front inner wheel fender cover on the drivers side.

Try that first and see if it pushes the gas out of the vent line. That should solve your problem. Also, make to to only fill your car up 2 clicks on the pump. Don't worry, i've had this happen to me once before too.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then you might have some ruptured gas evap hoses that will require you to remove the trunk bulkhead to repair. Not a fun repair!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this not the filter located in the trunk? 27F288EC-FB28-4DCD-ADAD-B22DF0370668.jpeg Also, didn’t get(or couldn’t find) the link you mentioned—thanks!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,708 Posts
That rubber housing contains the vacuum pump for the central locking system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts