Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen

It would appear, the 560SL uses a very exclusive front brake pad. Used only on the 560SL front brakes between 1986 and 1989 and more than likely the European 107 variants of those years. Because of this no pad manufacture is willing to bite the bullet and produce Ceramic pads for this car. Or at least they havent got a big enough order from someone to set the production wheels in motion. This is too bad because not only are these superior in breaking but they produce the least amount of dust.

EBC was the only company that listed a ceramic part number (DP3681C) but when I tried to purchase them my order was canceled several times and I was just informed today buy an EBC rep that this part number would not be put into production due to lack of demand. So with nothing to loose, I asked the question what size order would get them to make a batch. Well I'm not going to disclose the answer but it was much more manageable than I expected. With that in mind I'm interested in knowing how many people are interested in a set of pads for the front of there 86 to 89 107's.

Since I waited so long and my breaks got down to the sensors I purchased a genuine MB pad set for $110.00 locally. I believe the EBC pads could be made available at under this cost and possibly under $100.00 making them competetive with the genuine MB and possibly inline with top of the line brands such as Textar.

I would like to know how much interest is there in these pads.

John Roncallo

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
no pad manufacture is willing to bite the bullet and produce Ceramic pads for this car. Or at least they havent got a big enough order from someone to set the production wheels in motion. This is too bad because not only are these superior in breaking but they produce the least amount of dust.
They also chew through the rotors. The general feeling among 107 owners that I've talked to is stick with the original organic pads and clean off the brake dust as necessary.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
They also chew through the rotors. The general feeling among 107 owners that I've talked to is stick with the original organic pads and clean off the brake dust as necessary.
I bought a set of ceramic pads, and on the shelf they sit. Uninstalled for that reason. Harder than the rotor? Not a good idea. Part of schooling, sure. I'll know better next time. Brake dust sucks, but knot as much as realigning after rotor replacement. Yall have fun now.

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know when the change occured but the 560SL uses semi metalic pads from the factory. Since the use of semi metalic became the norm, the simple pull two pins and replace pads is no longer a reality. The rotors now have to be removed anyway for at minimum tuning and more likely replacement. I dont wast any time, my rotors with 40,000 miles against Textar pads will have the rotor so worn away a lip will form arround the pad making large compression of the pistons required to remove the pads. The situation ends up being you are never quite sure you can turn them succesfully until they are on the lathe and you already paid upfront. Arround here rotors cost $40.00 a pair to turn plus arguing with the guy wether they can be turned or not, plus waiting for then for two days, followed by recieveing them back with groves in them and replacing them anyway.

For the DIY guy, organic pads are still available, Ive seen them as low as $20.00 and the pull 2 pins and replace the pads on a yearly basis may be the preffderd solution. But for me, I want to do my brakes and not see them for years and I hate the dust that builds up even on a 150 mile trip to a car show after a complete detail job.

John Roncallo

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I learned a lesson last summer. Genuine MB pads. And rotors, for that matter.
Genuine MB for your 280 are most likely organic.

I cant complain about my Textars with Balo's except for the dust of course. I just looked up the last time I replaced them, I got 35,000 miles on them. indicator just cam on last week. This week end I will be putting in a new set of MB pads with Balo rotors. Lets see if the dust settles. Although I generally go with OE for most stuff, I find Balo to be an impressive rotor.

John Roncallo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts