Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Looking at buying a 1986 to 1989 560SL.See them with 4 round or 2 square headlights.Other than the headlights what are the differences in the cars.Are parts as easy to get for either one?
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
There were no "Euro" 560SL's. I believe the only other market for the 560 was Japan- I'm sure someone else here will clarify. PO's will have frequently re-badged a car as a 560, in a "mine's bigger than yours" thing. As far as the headlights, all 560's came with round quads. Those who prefer (and can afford!) the European lamps may have swapped them in.

ALL 560SL's are the same, with the exception of the 3rd brake lamp. "86 and '87's were made to suffer with a ridiculous lump just behind the rear window area while '88 and '89's had a slightly better one fastened to the trailing edge of the trunk.

As for parts, availabilty is no problem.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
They were made for Japan and Australia and had small bumpers and square head lights. They were also right hand drive in Australia. Don't know about Japan.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
As far as the headlights, all 560's came with round quads. Those who prefer (and can afford!) the European lamps may have swapped them in.

I should have clarified- all U.S. 560's have the quads. I don't think I have seen or heard of a Japanese or Australian 560 over here.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,083 Posts
Thanks for the info.Located in Ontario.
Please fill out your profile.

Where in Ontario?

I'm in Barrie and will help with what I can.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I'm in YYZ, and if I can help, I will also. I had a pristine 1989 560, and have followed the 107 over the years, and have gained some good knowledge. Nobby is very able mechanically too, far more so than I! Lots of support on the forum too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts