Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the driver's side under dash panel to access the screws for the radio speaker. I've removed two plastic fasteners, but the panel itself still won't come off easily. Seems like it is glued or attached somehow at the top. I don't want to tear or break anything, so I figured I'd ask here before applying more muscle.

Len

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I'm trying to remove the driver's side under dash panel to access the screws for the radio speaker. I've removed two plastic fasteners, but the panel itself still won't come off easily. Seems like it is glued or attached somehow at the top. I don't want to tear or break anything, so I figured I'd ask here before applying more muscle.

Len
I read through a post on how to remove the dash panel on a 560 once, and I distinctly remember a socket and a long extension being involved. Apparently there are some holes that hold very deep-seated fastening bolts.

Edited to add: 10mm socket.

·
Registered
1985 380SL, 1998 230SLK
1,548 Posts
You don't have to remove the dash to get to any screws for the radio speakers. (Did I miss something here?)

I removed the screws I could access, then slid the speaker grid out (I think it slides up). After you get it out, you can see how it fits in place and what flat parts slide in place to hold the grille in place.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,728 Posts
You don't have to remove the dash to get to any screws for the radio speakers. (Did I miss something here?)

I removed the screws I could access, then slid the speaker grid out (I think it slides up). After you get it out, you can see how it fits in place and what flat parts slide in place to hold the grille in place.
Nope no need to remove screws. See my post at Mercedesshop.

JR

·
Registered
1986 560SL
210 Posts

I do think it makes it a LOT easier to remove those screws if you take out the knee bolster.

Edit: Here's how to get the bolster out.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1333766-knee-bolster-1988-560sl.html?highlight=knee+bolster

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Yep, there are two 10mm nuts up high accessed via a long extension. Saved me breaking something I'm sure. I went through most of the tools in my tool box trying to find something that would get those speaker screws and was not successful. Sure is a lot easier to do now with that under dash panel out of the way. I also thought that if I was able to get the screws for the speaker out, would I be able to get them back in, so it was just easier to take the panel off.

Len

1 - 6 of 6 Posts