Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL,1995 911 Carrera 4, 2021 Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding the color of the door sill trim plates.

My new to me 560sl was purchased from the original owner who claims she never replaced the door sill covers however my interior being Palomino in color shouldn't the trim covers be Palomino as well?

Mine are black and when I look on the internet every car that pops up has matching trim to their interior color.

This is the trim piece that I am referring to below:(this is not my car's interior FYI)

Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
3,244 Posts
Same here, mine match and the only time I've seen the sills in a color different than the interior is because they were replaced, or the interior was.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,508 Posts
Mine are Stainless Steel. Just wish they were the ones with the embossed Mercedes Star:
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have a set in Palomino that they are willing to part with?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Does anyone have a set in Palomino that they are willing to part with?
I'm afraid the genuine ones are NLA from MB, but have a look on ebay or else you can get aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm afraid the genuine ones are NLA from MB, but have a look on ebay or else you can get aftermarket replacements.
I figured as much..Would be willing to purchase a used set before resorting to aftermarket ones

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I figured as much..Would be willing to purchase a used set before resorting to aftermarket ones
A used set may be meeh as after all those years the rubber disintegrates - mine were OK until I started removeing them, then they just fell apart.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,558 Posts
Looks good-where did you buy them from?

How are these attached? With glue?
SL Shop
I initially used a good quality spray on contact adhesive but that didn't hold well, I did use a good liberal coat on both surfaces and waited for tack up, but they were both lifing
So up they came before the glue set, cleaned both surfaces and used brush on contact adhesive, same brand. That worked
Biggest area of problem I found was the curved lip that bends over the sill, it wants to pop up
So when I pulled the first attempt up, I removed the glue off the back of the rubber sill cover with metho, and used bulldog clips all along the two sills, leaving overnight, to help create a bend
That helped a lot when I re glued them
And I used a small carpet roller to help get an even finish

Laptop Output device Netbook Peripheral Input device Liquid Fluid Cosmetics Personal care Paint

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,558 Posts
A used set may be meeh as after all those years the rubber disintegrates - mine were OK until I started removeing them, then they just fell apart.
I don't think they do last too long, so you're right Mikolaj, used won't be any good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts