Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 560SL 1988
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 560SL has a cracked left valve cover. Searching the forum I see that it needs timing chain and guide replacement along with the tensioner. Does the cracked valve cover mean the car has bent valves or simply the guide broke and cracked the valve cover? The motor has not been running over 500rpm as there seems to be fuel issues. Just replaced the fuel pumps, filter, fuel accumulator and associated fuel lines in that cluster. Also just had Timevalve stainless exhaust installed hoping the sluggish engine was caused by plugged catalytic converters but no such luck. Do I have the timing chain and guides etc replaced or source a replacement engine? Thanks!

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,072 Posts
All depends on where the crack is. If it's in the area of the attached pic I'd say that a guide broke. Hard to say what damage it caused.

·
Registered
Mercedes 560SL 1988
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All depends on where the crack is. If it's in the area of the attached pic I'd say that a guide broke. Hard to say what damage it caused.

View attachment 2612722
Yes, this is where the valve cover is cracked. I sent the car by tow truck to a repair shop here in Longwood FL and they want crazy labor hours to replace the chain, guides. Thinking about doing it myself using the youtube video posted by a forum member. The comments in that say about 6 hr job.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,147 Posts
The good news is if the chain is still on it probably just flapped and cracked the cover. If the chain is off there could be a bent valve. The job is DIY and easier if you have a pin puller for the chain guides.

·
Registered
Mercedes 560SL 1988
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good news is if the chain is still on it probably just flapped and cracked the cover. If the chain is off there could be a bent valve. The job is DIY and easier if you have a pin puller for the chain guides.
Hopefully this is all that is wrong. The car still runs and no noise from the valves. I think the fuel distributor also needs rebuilt as the car only runs at 500rpm. It was doing this prior to the cracked valve cover.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,105 Posts
You can do the chain and slides yourself, give yourself a full day as the most important piece is patience and not rushing. No room for mistakes so take your time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts