Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1986 560sl and it takes about 3 minutes to start cold. Also, when it does finally start, it runs pretty well but it idles WAY high, like 1500. Do these two things ring any bells to anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
OVP (OverVoltage Protection) Relay. Behind the Pass. side kick panel, Large red relay with a fuse on top. Check the fuse, take the relay out (maybe give it a shake) and reset it.

See if it clears up the high idle. Long start not sure has it sat for awhile? Might need some fresh gas, tuneup, etc...

Fill out your profile also, helps to know where your located.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
OVP (OverVoltage Protection) Relay. Behind the Pass. side kick panel, Large red relay with a fuse on top. Check the fuse, take the relay out (maybe give it a shake) and reset it.

See if it clears up the high idle. Long start not sure has it sat for awhile? Might need some fresh gas, tuneup, etc...

Fill out your profile also, helps to know where your located.
You beat me to this... The symptoms are exactly what I experienced when the OVP on my 560 took a dump, including hard starting when cold...

Just buy a new one and replace... unlikely you can ever rely on the existing one even if re-seating it/shaking it returns it to function... around $50+ bones for a 560...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts