Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! -

I am TRULY a long time viewer and first time caller! I have been taking advantage of the valuable resources to refresh my new-to-me 1987 560SL. Having never held a wrench before I would have never gotten as far as I have without the unsung hero's on this site. The information has been so vast and informative that I have not needed, until now, to even pose a single question.

Using all of the online and offline service catalogs I can get a hold of I cannot identify the hole that is in the back of the air flow boot i am replacing. I it's clearly visible and present on the boot i am replacing as well as the OE part i have in hand.

When i acquired my car, it had numerous vacuum lines detached and the engine understandably ran rough. I'm down to running smoke tests which is how i made it this far and to the point i'm at replacing the leaky old boot.

So can anyone help identify what appears to me to be one end of a vacuum hose? All diagrams I've come across - well they don't seem to show anything.

I'll be updating my profile as soon as I can. I wanted to get this online first. 1987 560SL.

Cheers!
MassAirFlowBoot.jpg

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
471 Posts
Where does the big end fit? I can look on my car tonite to see if it has something hooked to it. Just not familiar with the part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given the many articles on this and other forums I've never seen a picture or narrative describing anything either. It just seems odd. I figured my first question here would be an odd one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, i'm going to have to plug that hole too. i ended up getting and installing the MB version because i didn't like the way the MTC fit with the MB flange. The MB version definitely has an open hole i can blow air through.

now i'm torn with conflicting info :) leaving it open for now. i'll insert a self-tapping sheet metal screw and see if it makes any noticeable difference.

I'll also try the 'plinker' method.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm hoping these pictures will help better show where the in/out hole actually is (1987 560SL). Fingers crossed that someone can take a similar picture for comparison. I envy those of you who have can stay things like "I think i have a 560SL around here somewhere" :). Martin_fromGermany has simply confused things all together with his photo. lol. Pretty certain once I get the engine running again I'll verify it is an input of recirculated exhaust of some sort. Therefore plugging it (directly or indirectly) would just have little or no impact on the air coming into the engine.

Post your pics! :) And Thank you !!!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts