Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

To install a 560sl Air Dam on a 1973 450sl Must you drill holes?
I assume you must. I know this is somewhat of a stupid question, because, why in the world would MB have put holes in a 1973 car for an enhancement that wasn't implemented until 1986? I just want to make sure before I start drilling holes in my car. Know what i mean?

I've read Mercedes R107 SL Restoration and I believe this is the most descriptive it gets: "All existing mountings were used. An additional bracket was fabricated to give support to the lower centre of the spoiler as this is missing from the panel behind on earlier cars:"

I have not (yet?) removed my front bumper, but this should be one seriously simple job for me because, after all, I just removed this air dam from another 1973 450sl. It was only connected with:
1) The two center screw holes for the standard grill (which I will save BTW, along with my parcel shelf).
2) Two bolts on each side

Since the 1973 I removed it from also has teardrop turn signals, it appears the air dam has already had the required cut outs to simply slip it over. So as long as I can find, or more likely correctly drill, those four holes, this thing should be simple to install.

I still need to paint it though because my car is black, and the air dam is white with tar spots all over it. I assume I should go through the whole process in the link above:
- spray with plastic primer on the whole thing
- spray paint bottom and grill flat black with stone ship paint
- spray paint the other sections with Pep Boys paint that is the closest match to my shiny black car.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a ton Foto! I hadn't checked the passenger side. The holes are there on my passenger side, but not the driver side. My car is a "reconstruct" so this isn't the most surprising thing in the world. I guess the simple thing will be to drill the two holes on the driver side.

The air dam is fit on there right now, but I guess I should just take it off right now. So I can keep on driving tomorrow.

THANKS!

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to get a feel

I think 14" wheels just don't look right with the 560 air dam. This will stay off the car for a while. I will paint it, drill the holes, and have it all ready for the 6 screw installation before I go wheel shopping.

I like the fact that this is a totally reversible modification, hopefully along with some wheels.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Fonzi
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing