Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Any input is appreciated. I've done some searching already, but anybody who can point me in the right direction is very much appreciated.

1990 Mercedes 560SEL. My car seems super slow to me. I know the 560 is a powerful motor, but mine seems extraordinarily slow. It has 140K, but one owner, fully documented and runs strong.

Transmission shifts through all gears, but my problem is that I have ZERO kickdown. I have absolutely no passing power and the kickdown simply doesn't work. I slam the pedal to the floor and the only guage that moves is my Economy guage to red. The rpm's don't even change much. Even a regular kickdown w/o the switch with a slight increase in throttle happens rarely. My kickdown on the highway doesn't work either. It feels like I'm riding a bike in the lowest gears, struggling to pass joggers.

I'm wondering if it's a throttle linkage problem, because it feels like I have the pedal on the floor to get acceleration- I feel a few millimeters of play before the motor starts reacting to throttle, even in park or neutral. Could this really just be a throttle linkage issue? I keep hearing about the powerful 5.6, but mine aint powerful; It sounds great behind the firewall, but it's not translating to the ground. Perhaps it's transmission problem?

Any help would really be great. Coming from a 4.0L Jeep, I thought I'd have much better power!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
I typed 'kick down switch' (3 words max) in the search this forum box, and got four pages of threads.
If not sure how, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the page.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Sounds like you have bigger problems @ hand then just a kick down.

I would bring the car to a shop that's Very familiar w/ 126/560's and have them give it a thorough go through.

And yes, it should move out very well.. Esp. from 60-120.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes, you have something amiss in your powertrain. The 560 is no slouch although 126 SEL does run a rather tall final drive intended for relaxed "high" speed cruising and not quick off the line resposiveness. Kickdown however should be immediate and consistent especially if you are giving full throttle toe in's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts