Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after looking at a 420sel for 4 days. The man who owned it finally lost my attention today. I came home went to Auto trader looking for another in my area. What I found was a 560SEL. I have never driven one of these until today. OMG. What power. Also I noticed lots of buttons I have not seen in the other cars. The back seat heats up and reclines, and in the front by the gear stick there is a horn button. what is this button for? When I press the steering wheel the horn blows. What's this extra button all about? Anyway this car has 188,000 on it. But is in mint conditon. Everything works, even the head rest and the door locks. Tell me what you all think. I have the complete history on the car also, as the mechanic for the owner is selling it. This car really moves like nothing I have ever driven. I was impressed by the 420, but this takes the cake. Also should I be looking for a Value job with this car having the millage on it that it has? it is a 1989 as well.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
about the button: it gives you the option to make your car sound normal or dorky. one of the settings sounds like a multi-tone air horn, much like your average american sedan's. the other setting sounds like a kia on helium. i believe in europe, one of the settings is for the highway and the other is for the city (i think the annoying nasal tone carries farther, so it's better on the highway), but if you have any amount of self-respect you'll stick with the multi-tone setting.

as for the car in general -- having full service records is a plus, and the #1 thing you should check at this mileage is whether or not the timing chain and head gasket have been replaced. if not, chances are you'll have to do it soon, to the tune of $600-1200. it would also be nice to know why the previous owner is selling (when a mechanic is selling the car for a client, you have to wonder if a big repair bill came up and the owner decided he'd had enough).

i'm biased, having a 1989 560SEL myself, but yeah -- as nice as the 420 is, i love the 560's engine burble and massive torque. i wish it packed more than 238hp, but life could be worse. plus i have my 400E around to provide the muscle back-up... [:D]

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
34 Posts
The "country" or "highway" horn itself is mounted convieniently enough just inside of the front right-side wheel well on underbody. I have replaced mine with the horn off of a 1979 Caddilac... much more effective when cruising down the highway when an 18-wheeler starts to drift over into the lane you are currently passing him in and needs a little wake-up call. I use the dual-tone, "pardon me," horn in city traffic. I call my Caddy horn my "MOVE!" horn.... it also come in handy when confronting SUVs that think they own the road.

I would take the 560 that you are looking at to another Mercedes mechanic for a second opinion, though. I agree with the other post that the mechanic may be selling it because it may need more work than it is worth. That being said, even if my 560 needed a complete engine replacement, I would do it, because driving this luxurious of a car for a 6 grand investment is certainly worth another 6-7 grand to make it run like new for a couple of hundred thousand miles with proper care taken of it.

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your input. I did buy the car today. I will have pictures in about a month. The car was great and is sound. The mechanic is selling the car, because the owner could not afford the repair bill. I worked a deal with the mechanic. I wanted some special things done to insure the car was going to be road worthy for some time. My 1988 E class has 198,000 miles on it. Runs great and looks great, but I have a feeling it will be needing a trans overhaul pretty soon. So the best offer I have gotten for that car having it for sale, was 3,400.00. Which to me was low, but they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for one. So Back to the 560SEL. It is a great car, there were some flaws in the original paint, and a small tear on the driver seat. So what I did, was paid the man for the car, and traded my 300E to the mechainic, for his time labor and parts. What he is doing to the 560SEL in exchange for the 300E is, Replace the exhaust system, repaint the car in it's original color with clear coat, repair the leather on the driver seat, convert the A/c to 134A, replace timming chain, and gasket, and all hoses, complete Tune up, and Fuel pump just in case. So I feel with him doing all this for me I got a good price for my 300E. Some of these things did not need doing, but this way, I will know they are all new, and hopefully get a good year or so of driving before I have to do anything. The paint on the car was already pretty good, but now it should look like a brand new one.lol I will get the car delivered to me in 3 to 4 weeks. I also know the mechanic. So I do trust him. He purchased a 300TE from me 4 years ago for his wife. So we have a pretty good repor with one another. He was more upset that the previous owner ran up a bill with him, that he could not pay, so he was glad to help me and get my 300E for his son as well. I think all in all I have made out quite well on this deal. Thanks again guys, and I will be posting pics soon. Also I did get to try out that horn button.lol I agree, it makes it sound kind of strange. I like the cadillac Idea. I may take that Idea and use it too.lol

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
34 Posts
Nice! Really like the color on that one. I have what I believe is called the "Artic White".

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,254 Posts
Hmmm....

Looks more like silver to me.

Arctic White (my car[:D]) is actually white, believe it or not.[:)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts