Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SEL/1991 190E
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I have had a strange noise in the back that sounded like a loose exhaust hanger. I finally took a second to look under the car....and right near the rear bumper the exhaust is hanging completely loose. There are is a J hook attached to the frame and one connected to the exhaust pipe and they are unconnected. I was wondering if someone had a picture of what it should look like. I am not sure if they are supposed to connect together by themselves...or if I am missing a piece. I'll see if I can come up with a pic.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,798 Posts
You're missing the rubber rings that connect the two pieces. They go for about $1 apiece -- be sure to pick them up before you lose your muffler...

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Mine are stretched and I'd like to replace them. Do you know where to get them for a $1? I'm scared to ask the stealership how much they are---maybe I can pick up them up at NAPA autoparts or something....

·
Registered
'90 300 CE, '91 560 SEC, (R.I.P.) '82 300SD (sold)
1,234 Posts
Jonathan has them. I got a couple from him about a month ago.

·
Registered
1987 560 SEL/1991 190E
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...but which ones are they....I have seen the circles...and the figure eight ones...and a couple other that I am pretty sure aren't it. Anyone have a part # or a pic. I appreciate the help guys.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,798 Posts
P/N is 124 492 00 44. Just stop by your local dealer and pick a couple up... Even at the dealer, they're only $3.

·
Registered
1988 420SEL
38 Posts
I bought some at Autozone for about $1.75-$2.00 each. They had to special order them, but even then, it only took one day.

PIA to put on car though.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and use the Mercedes Benz OE hangars, they are square.
(and very cheap)

I learned this the hard way, using the generic Autozone round hangars, and they failed TWICE in a about a year

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,348 Posts
cascade said:
Do yourself a big favor and use the Mercedes Benz OE hangars, they are square.
(and very cheap)

I learned this the hard way, using the generic Autozone round hangars, and they failed TWICE in a about a year
Couldn't agree more. The round rubber donuts only last 2-3 month or so on my car.

·
Registered
1988 300E (sold 2017), 1991 560SEL, 1998 S500 (rear ended 8/30/2017)
70 Posts
I lost one of the hooks and the hangar earlier this year and took it to a body shop that specializes in under carriages (and is quite reasonably priced I might add). They welded a new piece of steel on to substitute for the missing hook as no telling what roadway that fell off on, and then put on steel straps as any common poorly designed Detroit vehicle would have. Well the steel straps had a suicide pact and I literally had both of them to break off at the same time going over a hump in the parking lot where I work at. All my hooks are still present and accounted for at least, but the muffler acquired quite a lot of scrapes and dents on the way home inspite of my best efforts to take the drive slow and easy. Presently heavy gauge steel wire from a conveniently located political sign is temporarily wrapped on the hooks and seems to be doing a better job of keeping the muffler in place than the steel strapping that last all of about two months did.

But as advised here already, I have the OEM Mercedes Rubber doo-hickies on order and am hoping they turn up in the mail soon as I must leave town Monday morning and the tracking number provided four days ago indicates the USPS still hasn't taken possession of the package.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,838 Posts
Another idea is using the ones from the SL. I think the R129. I used them on my SEC which had an aftermarket exhaust relying heavily on that rear hanger.. They are reinforced inside.

Reactions: 81126

·
Registered
1986 560 SEL
1,493 Posts
I went through a set of the figure 8 examples in about six months. The shop said they were Mercedes parts, but I highly doubt that now.

I replaced those with a set of doughnuts from Advance. Those Chinese pieces of crap didn't even last one day...repeat ONE DAY.

So, I went to Auto Zone and got a set of doughnuts from them manufactured in the US. They've been on for almost a year with no signs of wear.

It's the quality of the rubber, I'm telling you.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,234 Posts
Another "OR" could be (thinking ahead for spare parts cache :wink ) the next time you are at the yards, crawl up under and look for one or two that aren't weathered or age cracked and pop em off, just need a flat screwdriver to get up under and pry them off the hook (this will also show age cracks, pass if you see any) I have a couple here that I'll be using on the muffler when I swap out the exhaust from the 84. I have a few other odds and ends to acquire first (one of those "while you're under there with it all apart" moments) idler kit and driveshaft parts

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,348 Posts
Another idea is using the ones from the SL. I think the R129. I used them on my SEC which had an aftermarket exhaust relying heavily on that rear hanger.. They are reinforced inside.
+ 1
I am not sure whether we used the R107 or R129 hangers?
They look more square and have steel mesh embedded in the rubber.
The cheap round hangers don't last

·
Registered
1988 300E (sold 2017), 1991 560SEL, 1998 S500 (rear ended 8/30/2017)
70 Posts
I shopped around the local venues today before going to work. None of the three places I went carry re-enforced hangars! And all were well beyond the $1 - $2 people were discussing when this topic was originally created. All I could find that would work locally were solid rubber doughnuts and they were the exact same price at all three stores, but...
Advance Auto - Made in China
Auto Zone - Made in the U.S.A.
O'Reily's (is this even a national chain?) - Made in India

The hangars I have on order are the "figure eight" style, and allegedly official Mercedes parts, but who know for sure. I will likely return to Auto Zone and buy a couple of their doughnuts tomorrow.

Very hard to come by used Mercedes parts around here as the only junk yards in my county, crazily, have a no-Euro car policy. Nearest junk yard that isn't governed by such idiocracy is a good forty minute drive away and never answers the phone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts