Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S600, 2011 GL550, 1989 560SEC, 2003 G500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I may have opened a can of worms I didn't really want to yet!!

The sun roof wasn't working when I bought the car 3 weeks ago, so I decided to look into it, and found many broken parts and a bad repair someone had made.

Now I need parts...

I've included pictures but what I need is the slide mechanism that the roof panel attaches to, and the cable operartes. The cast runner and lift mechanisms have broken into several parts so I need a complete mechanism.

I'd take a whole roof mechanism, runners, pan, roof, the whole damn thing if someone has one!

I think I should have left well enough alone until spring... but now I need to get this fixed ASAP. Does anyone have a parts car out there with these parts?

Thanks in advance. Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the exact same thing with my '89. Have you had any luck finding these parts? I found 87 560 SEC, but sunroof is completely different, so no parts were the same.

I am curious if parts will with from SEL models and what year?

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the exact same thing with my '89. Have you had any luck finding these parts? I found 87 560 SEC, but sunroof is completely different, so no parts were the same.

I am curious if parts will with from SEL models and what year?

Can anyone help?

I have 89' and same problems. Will part off of SEL model work?
I even purchased sunroof from 87' model, but as it was said above, it is completely different.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Order new. Used is just asking for it to break again as they All DO eventually. SEC and SEL are different.

SEC's are actually the cheaper of the two.

SEL's are about 500/side IIRC>

Jono

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
If Jono's quote of 500 a side is correct...:eek:

Maybe $50/side? Couldn't be $5.00 a side....

I'm off to a couple of yards tomorrow-- might be able to grab a set. I have one good one from my w140 install, but it's a sedan. Which side is it you need-- or is it both?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually need both sides. To be exact, I need all of the parts except motor and cable. At first I purchased the new cable, since I heard motor running and saw that cable has been cut after I removed the liner. After I took it all apart, had a lot to see. It appears that previous owner was unable to close the sunroof. I think he cut the cable and forced sunroof shut. That broke just about every piece of that mechanism.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,681 Posts
I actually need both sides. To be exact, I need all of the parts except motor and cable. At first I purchased the new cable, since I heard motor running and saw that cable has been cut after I removed the liner. After I took it all apart, had a lot to see. It appears that previous owner was unable to close the sunroof. I think he cut the cable and forced sunroof shut. That broke just about every piece of that mechanism.
Tifosi1 & edobesir, no offense, but clicking 'User CP' on the top toolbar to complete your profile with a location would make it easier for members to reply.
Cheers

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
You can get the cast aluminum rails from parts.com for $100 each. This is the cam guide that is essential for operation.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,681 Posts
Your best bet might be ElRojo aka Dave of recent panoramic glass sunroof install 'feat.'
He goes around the wrecking yards every week, and won't rob you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts