Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Euro 350SL Lorisner, 73 450SL AMG Clone
1,152 Posts
$7800 for paint? is it 24K gold, $2600 for the interer, I need to tell my friend who does only full custom car interers he is not charging enough, for doing 34 fords, and vintage vets and the many others etc...

I think the guy got took to the cleaners on the work done or he smokes real good stuff

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
What's with the Black and Tan color scheme..does he have a black and tan **** hound that goes with the car?

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Lots questions.... 822 engines were HIGHLY illegal in CA especially. Did they even offer in 1986? W/ that said, HOW did he get it smogged/tagged? I think he had it in cahoots w/ a smog shop for the first run, and now that the car's up for the 2nd smog, unload it!

Nice car, but I can't see owning one here in the People's Republic (not) of CA. Too much red tape. There's other ways of having as much, if not more power w/ less DMV hassles. Also notice it doesn't look much different from a nicely prepped USA car?

Love the Gen2 Euros, tho.... :D

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Euro spec Gen II W126ers are almost non existant because the gray market collapsed at the end of 1985, the DM was revalued and became more robust against the dollar, and the 560 engine hit the USA, and all of these things killed the gray market.

If nonetheless this is a gray market conversion car, (the disclosure of the VIN# would settle that question) it is a pretty complete cosmetic conversion, down to the US spec bumpers and tails, and the US spec headlight wipers, which are installed backwards. :eek::D

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
What's with the Black and Tan color scheme..does he have a black and tan **** hound that goes with the car?
Hey, do *YOU* have a black and mushroom **** hound that goes with *YOURS*????

hahahahaha

·
Registered
1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
772 Posts
hmmmm...Well, 2600 for a full interior job is a pretty damn good price...Can't compare a full size coupe's interior to a tiny 32 Ford's interior with flat panels and 2 seats. 7200 for a paint also sounds like a normal price for a full paint jobe done right. Done right, meaning the car was taken apart, as it should be, blocked at least 4 times, painted (5 coats of paint 4 coats of clear) and put pack together. I believe the prices to be very very realistic.

·
Always Remembered RIP
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
yes, I am also seeing Euro bumpers and lights in the advertisement????

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,135 Posts
i kinda like the way the interior looks! if it could be done properly id maybe go for it. what would you have to do, swap pieces from black car? & possibly a black&tan shepherd.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
I've seen some Euro cars with 2-tone interior... and some where factory done. Don't know about that one in particular... but worth a check using the decoder.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
EXCUUUUSSSEEE MEEEE! I don't have a two tone interior.

However I do have a Blue Merle Texas Heeler that partially matches the Bluebird and Sylvia's interiors......:p
The grey parts at least.....LOL!

BTW! Her tan parts almost match Mariah's interior too...So There!:p:p

Sorry I just didn't care for the two tone interior of that car.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't care for black/tan interior...if redone, I would have picked something more in tune with the exterior color and, again, would have gotten some period-correct rims.

The bumpers are Gen2 Euros. Not sure why the headlight wipers were changed out but that's not a hard replacement. There are a few Gen2 cars that are in CA, legally. I've even seen a 560SEL Euro where the CA DMV screwed up (got paid off?) and registered it as a Diesel, making it smog exempt for life.

I think this maybe an interesting car, although not at that price.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
I talked to the guy and he is a dick. Does not know much about Benz's, at least not at our level. I asked him about the anomalies like the US wipers etc. Was evasive. I offered to come down and shoot some proper pics and he blew me off. He said he WAS asking 25K. He asked if I knew what a 10:1 motor was. I asked him if he's ever stripped one down to bare metal..

Good luck to ya pal!

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
I left him a message. We will see if he gives me a call back.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to the guy and he is a dick. Does not know much about Benz's, at least not at our level. I asked him about the anomalies like the US wipers etc. Was evasive. I offered to come down and shoot some proper pics and he blew me off. He said he WAS asking 25K. He asked if I knew what a 10:1 motor was. I asked him if he's ever stripped one down to bare metal..

Good luck to ya pal!
Sorry to hear that, but can't say I'm surprised...that ad screamed pure ignorance. He WAS asking $25K? Mmmkay buddy. BTW, the lifetime smog-free 560SEL sold for $5K...although that was when gas was $5/gallon here.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
This is the same one that Teutone and I looked a couple of times last year. At the time, he was asking $8995. We got the VIN and lots more info-- here's the thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1365172-euro-560-sec-cl.html

The car is definitely in good shape overall, and if the paint was done, even better. It might be worth looking at again, and I think ca$h will talk. I recall he had gotten it smogged, and the exhaust wasn't stock. It does have tri-ys, no SLS, and the wood has all been blacked out (looks fairly professional, and rather unique). I thought the interior was pretty good- not perfect though. The stereo was also a bit funky. And I vaguely recall the A/C not working.

I thought it was all a bit fishy back then-- and Teutone might chime in here too. I think the guy is using our info/questions about the 10:1 engine (he didn't know about it last year). He definitely doesn't know all that much about these cars. He's also not very forthcoming with receipts either.

Dave

·
Registered
1978 Euro 350SL Lorisner, 73 450SL AMG Clone
1,152 Posts
When I bought mine last sept, the guy gave me a folder full of recipts of all the work he had done on the car, and all the parts he bought over the 5years he had it, including a 6k recipt from rudys auto haus SD for a engine rebuild, with only 35k on it.

Anyone who wants to sell a his car and as per craigs list asking 17.5grand, should have all his paperwork to back up what he claim.

Hey I only paid 1500 for mine, and I have put another 2 grand in it. "rudys auto haus quoted him 4grand for a new trans." I put one in for 900.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the same one that Teutone and I looked a couple of times last year. At the time, he was asking $8995. We got the VIN and lots more info-- here's the thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1365172-euro-560-sec-cl.html

The car is definitely in good shape overall, and if the paint was done, even better. It might be worth looking at again, and I think ca$h will talk. I recall he had gotten it smogged, and the exhaust wasn't stock. It does have tri-ys, no SLS, and the wood has all been blacked out (looks fairly professional, and rather unique). I thought the interior was pretty good- not perfect though. The stereo was also a bit funky. And I vaguely recall the A/C not working.

I thought it was all a bit fishy back then-- and Teutone might chime in here too. I think the guy is using our info/questions about the 10:1 engine (he didn't know about it last year). He definitely doesn't know all that much about these cars. He's also not very forthcoming with receipts either.

Dave
Yeeeaahhh, I thought this looked familiar! Well, sounds exactly like a Lorinser coupe I'm tracking here locally. Guy is evasive, not forthcoming, fluctuates (upwards) on price...not a very trust inspiring situation.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
Oh, D*****d told me the Interior WAS in fact aftermarket NOT OEM. I did get that much out of him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts