Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 SL560, 1989 560 SEL
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 560 started idling a little faster and smokes slightly after idling a while.runs great other wise. Any thoughts? I am told it takes special equipment to make adjustments. I thought it may be a bad O2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
My 560 started idling a little faster and smokes slightly after idling a while.runs great other wise. Any thoughts? I am told it takes special equipment to make adjustments. I thought it may be a bad O2 sensor.
A bad O2 sensor will make the system go into closed loop mode, and run rich. It's a possibility.

·
Registered
1989 560SL 2014 A6 2012 Tahoe
343 Posts
Which brings up a question....

I mentioned the words "Tune-Up" to my mechanic and he essentially said in not so many words that there was not such a thing any more with these cars.

IMHO - a Tune-up involves changing plugs, checking wires / distributor caps, cleaning out the throttle body/air injectors - adjusting idle, checking O2 sensor.

What's a tune-up consist of now? Any good advice?

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I mentioned the words "Tune-Up" to my mechanic and he essentially said in not so many words that there was not such a thing any more with these cars.
If "these cars" means 107s, then your mechanic is wrong. A tune up on a 107 is all the things you listed.

What's a tune-up consist of now?
On my Acura, a tune-up meant changing the oil and the air filter. The plugs didn't get changed till 100K miles, there was no distributor, the timing was all controlled by the computer, and the rest of it ran off sensors. But it was made 30 years after my 107, so...

·
Registered
1988 SL560, 1989 560 SEL
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the in-put and comments. The puff of smoke is black and I believe rich fuel exhaust, only after idling awhile. I plan to replace all vaccuum lines first then look at other fuel issues such as idle control injectors etc. I have also had bad O2 sensors on other cars and had similar results. I sure like hearing from experience and not repeating others mistakes. I am getting too old for the long learning curve

·
Registered
1988 SL560, 1989 560 SEL
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tune ups are almost a thing of past with new stuff but definately not 107's. I have found that a engine that runs ruff misses and sluggush may need tune up but mine actually runs great. I do agree with a fellow owner tho about needing to drive longer distances more often. I am making way too many short runs in mine lately. need to hit the interstate more often

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.