Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 sl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 560 SL that normally runs great, but occasionally the check engine flashes and the engine starts missing. At low rpms, it sometimes dies. The event only lasts a few minutes, then goes back to normal operation. My shop thinks it is a ground short, but can't find it.

Anybody know where to look? [?]

Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
When does it occur?

When does this occur?

Does it start to stall immediately upon a cold start?

Does it start up fine, but after awhile, start to stall for no reason?

Does it stall only when you slow down (like at a stop light)?

What low RPMS does it sometimes die?

Does it go back to normal when you're on the gas and running fast?

·
Registered
560 sl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
560 Stalling

Thanks Esteves,

I have been keeping a log and there is no rhyme or reason. It did it bad after I had it washed. It does it at 60 mph and at slow speeds. If I am at a light and it starts missing, it will die. It lasts a short time then goes back to normal. It always starts easy.

Any thoughts?

Dave Evans

·
Registered
560 sl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
560 Stalling

Esteves,

Have you had any more thoughts on my stalling problem?

Thanks, Dave Evans

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fuel Injectors?

I've been giving it some thought. I really don't know.

I thinking maybe fuel injectors? I'm just guessing.

I was thinking maybe intermittent fuel pump, but that doesn't make any sense because the fuel pump either works or doesn't work. Fuel pumps might get weak over time though.

A quick way to check this would be to drive the car around and warm the engine up. Park the car. Wait ten minutes. Unscrew the air filter element cover and in the middle of the air filter pan you'll see a circular metal plate (throttle). Push on it. If it's easy to push, fuel pump isn't maintaining good pressure. If it has some resistance, than it's okay.

Anyhow, I hope you solve the problem.

·
Registered
560 sl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Esteves. I am making a list of places to look and I'll give it to the shop. It is...

Thanks Esteves. I am making a list of places to look and I'll give it to the shop. It is a great car except for the stalling.

Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
Let me know what you find out?

Let me know what you find out. If my cars starts displaying similar behavior, then perhaps I can check whatever your mechanic finds out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts