Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought my mother's 1989 560 SL and now that it's spring, I'd like to remove the hardtop. However, the manual has no instructions for removal. Can anyone explain how to do it (I understand that it's a 2 person job, and we also have a dolly to store it on).<br>
Thanks,<br>
Karen

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have an 83 sl. The procedure should be the same. After you unloosen the four releases, turn the crank (behind the drivers seat)counter clockwise to release the rear catch. Then just lift. <br> <br> If you have trouble lifting the top, i.e., the rear catch will not release, the release cable is either: a) broken, b) Stretched or c) out of adjustment. <br> <br> If this be the case,which did hapen to me, as you are lifting the top, carefully, carefully rotated the top left or right until the catch is free. Once off, you will be able to deal with the cable. But hopefully, this will not be the case.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Karen,<br> <br> I have an '86. In the owners manual there is a procedure on page 45 - right at the end of the soft top operation instructions.<br> <br> I also place a few towels on the trunk lid to protect the paint, just in case the top would hit it.<br> <br> If you still need detailed instructions, I can email them.<br> <br> Stan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts