Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't drive my 1988 560SL a lot but yesterday jumped on the freeway with it. After about 15 minutes on the freeway the car suddenly lost all power. I went from 70 MPH to 50MPH with the pedel to the floor. I got off the freeway and couldn't even get the car up to 25MPH. Everytime I would start the car just wouldn't go. I parked it for about an hour thinking I was going to have to have it towed home and when it cooled off it was prefect again. Then about 1/2 home it started the same thing. It seems fine until about 20-30 minutes of driving. The one thing I discovered on the way home was if I pushed the pedel all the way to the floor it would suddenly take off flying again.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
Johnboyps said:
...After about 15 minutes on the freeway the car suddenly lost all power. I went from 70 MPH to 50MPH with the pedel to the floor. I got off the freeway and couldn't even get the car up to 25MPH. Everytime I would start the car just wouldn't go. I parked it for about an hour ... when it cooled off it was prefect again. It seems fine until about 20-30 minutes of driving.
seems fuel related; however, fuel is controlled by so much electrical and vacuum stuff. I'd start with mechanical fuel stuff, ie fuel filter and pump (check pressure when good and when bad, if possible) and work from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts