Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1987 560 SEL with 138,000miles. It has been mostly sitting for the last 8 years - only driven rarely. I started using the car again recently and noticed a HARD shift into reverse (actually chirps the tires) When in reverse, the car seems to be on a higher idle as it moves pretty quick without touching gas. Forward gears seem OK, but lacks some power at speeds over 30 and the kickdown does not seem to engage.
The trans fluid, filter have been changed. Level is fine. Also changed the trans modulator. Vacuum line to it is fine. Tried adjusting a couple notches each way, but no difference. Set it back to how it arrived.
Any ideas?? Please help.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Sounds to me like your transmission’s fine – seems you’ve got a high idle problem. Are the RPMs way up? If so see benzoboy’s thread, he also does not drive his car much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - I do not think it is a idle problem however, because in park and drive the idle is fine - only reverse has the issue. Could the hard/shift chirping of tires be caused by bad tranny mount? Could throttle cable out of adjustment cause only reverse gear to be affected?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does it take a few seconds for it to engage reverse?

Does it slip or 'flare' between shifts (3-4)

Don't adjust the cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it does take a few seconds for reverse and it may be slipping some between 3-4 ( This could explain the loss of power) What do you think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some will tell you to spend some time and money playing with the modulator (up shifts only) or filter or some other thing but in the end you will find that your symptoms are classic examples of the need for a rebuild.

I speak from experience.

I went here. www.mercedesdismantlers.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts