Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Visited the bodyshop they re making good progress, most of the mountings have been removed from the donor, and the fuel tank was being removed from the clone, they told me it should be done this week, we ll see.

Yesterday I fixed the sunblind, it now goes up and down as it should.

Today I cleaned the carpets. Gonna take a while to dry them, as the weather isnt too great.

Not much else I can do until I get the car back, mostly just need to put it together.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,103 Posts
Great Progress!

Visited the bodyshop they re making good progress, most of the mountings have been removed from the donor, and the fuel tank was being removed from the clone, they told me it should be done this week, we ll see.

Yesterday I fixed the sunblind, it now goes up and down as it should.

Today I cleaned the carpets. Gonna take a while to dry them, as the weather isnt too great.

Not much else I can do until I get the car back, mostly just need to put it together.
Moving along expeditiously. Great work.

I see you fixed the rear power sunblind. Just mentally prepare yourself that it won't stay fixed. Always have a spare nylon rope on hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Moving along expeditiously. Great work.

I see you fixed the rear power sunblind. Just mentally prepare yourself that it won't stay fixed. Always have a spare nylon rope on hand.
Haha, good to know, I have a few antenna masts that I can use. To be honest I dont think I ll ever use the sunbling, just knowing the fact it works is cool.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,551 Posts
Haha, same. I never use mine apart from just for the satisfaction of seeing it glide up and down.

I think maybe its the hotter countries that have trouble with their nylon cords. Not had a problem with mine so far.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Done a lot of work on the car, will post pics soon.

Curtains in the rear mounted
Rear shelt reupholstered
Painted the instrument dial needles
Soldered some connections on the trip comp
and some other things

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,666 Posts
Beautiful!! What is your tire size front and rear , and your wheel offset and size? Any spacers used ? This car has the perfect stance

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,187 Posts
remind me did u do any motor modifications?

btw way car looks great

what did u do with the USA spec kit and bumpers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Beautiful!! What is your tire size front and rear , and your wheel offset and size? Any spacers used ? This car has the perfect stance
Fronts are 235/45-17
Rears are 255/40-17

Offsets I m not sure I think et 18 fronts et 19 rears
Front axle has 6mm spacers, and the fenders are rolled, rear has no spacers nor is the fender rolled.
In all honestly front spacers wernt essential, however there was a little tire rub with fully rotated steering. And I think it looks a bit better with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
remind me did u do any motor modifications?

btw way car looks great

what did u do with the USA spec kit and bumpers
We re going ro start swapping out the engine for the ECE from the donor, other than that I m not planning modifications.

The US kit is in my garage.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,187 Posts
does that ECE kit have try y headers and dual downpipes

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
ECE swap into US car question

Hi all,

I m looking for some input regarding an engine transplant.

The plan would be to fit a euro ECE engine into a US car, the euro is 1987 the US car is 1991.

What sort of obstacles will I bump into, do I need to changed out the complete wiring loom in the engine compartment or can I just plug the euc in the existing wiring harness swap out the ingnition modules. I have a whole donor car at my disposal, but would like to get some input from those of you who ve done this already.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,226 Posts
Does your black 560SEL have 2 x 8 pins as well?
Then not a problem
But if 2 x 4 pins then you are best to find an 560 ECE 4 Pin EZL and manual trimmer for fuel octane quality instead of the knock sensors.
Unless you want the hard task of swapping in the 16 pin Engine wiring harness off the donor car as well as the ECU.

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
Actually his car is an US model, so 2x4pin. The 8 pin won't work unless a rewiring job (pita!).

Suggest finding the special ECE ezl 0227400606

Cheapest one on eBay now is 390 euros.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Does your black 560SEL have 2 x 8 pins as well?
Then not a problem
But if 2 x 4 pins then you are best to find an 560 ECE 4 Pin EZL and manual trimmer for fuel octane quality instead of the knock sensors.
Unless you want the hard task of swapping in the 16 pin Engine wiring harness off the donor car as well as the ECU.
Actually I was wrong, both car have the 2*4 pin, however the donor has a dial kind of thing near the fusebox, and also near the ecu.

If this is the case an I ok just dropping in the engine and swapping ecu's?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Actually his car is an US model, so 2x4pin. The 8 pin won't work unless a rewiring job (pita!).

Suggest finding the special ECE ezl 0227400606

Cheapest one on eBay now is 390 euros.

I believe this is the one in the donor, I ll have to check the partnumber on it, but it s 2*4 pin I just checked.

004 545 55 32 is the one in the US car, 004 545 00 32 is in the donor.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 94 Posts