Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Had some time today, fitted the euro rear bumper, and boot lid. Hopefully I ll get around to fixing the amg corners tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,566 Posts
Nicely done! The euros make a huge difference. Btw, member Smafu is somewhat in your neck of the woods. I’ve been to his shop and he’s a great guy and very knowledgeable with the 126.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
479 Posts
Was it difficult to find a Euro rear bumper (even though you're in Europe)? Did it fit with even gaps all the way around? Too many times I've found that they suffer from prior impacts, with uneven gaps and the center chrome dipping a little.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The ducktail is finally on completely. So started working on the curtains until some stuff I ordered arrives next week.

Installing the curtain takes quite a while, due to double and triple checking measurment on what goes where, instead of screwing up something.

It s a set I got of ebay sold as oem old stock, I dont think it is, but it is a very good quality, the rails might be 3d printed, the fabric quality is very good also, and all the screws bolts nuts and accesories are also included. Who knows might be old stock but really not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Was it difficult to find a Euro rear bumper (even though you're in Europe)? Did it fit with even gaps all the way around? Too many times I've found that they suffer from prior impacts, with uneven gaps and the center chrome dipping a little.
Perfect fit all round. Wasnt difficult as I had it on my donor car, so actually knew what it looked like before and after.

·
Registered
560 sec (3)/ 280 SL / 190D 2.5turbo/
98 Posts
By the way anyone know if the wood on the door trim shown can be bought, aftermarket is good enough, I dont want the origial stuff for zillions of euros, prolly couldnt even find a set of originals.[/QUOTE]

hi Hunlimo1,

the picture you used to show the AMG wood door set in W126 sel is a picture of my car !!!!!!:grin:grin

For your information, i get 2 original AMG wood dor set (brand NEW, NOS from AMG, 14 pieces of wood part, very rare set in new condition……...i'm offering one set on this forum.

Location of the parts; France
Price for the amg wood door set : 4600 euros. i inform it's an original AMG set , not a reproduction

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Little things can make a big change,

New rubber on pedals
New gaskets under the doorhandles
Finished the curtain on the doors
New vac pods
Changed the door lock knobs for the euro version
New rubber for the antenna

Going to refit the dash today hopefully, get the rear foglight wired up, connecting trip comp to the ecu, fixing B pillar upholstery.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
By the way anyone know if the wood on the door trim shown can be bought, aftermarket is good enough, I dont want the origial stuff for zillions of euros, prolly couldnt even find a set of originals.

hi Hunlimo1,

the picture you used to show the AMG wood door set in W126 sel is a picture of my car !!!!!!:grin:grin

For your information, i get 2 original AMG wood dor set (brand NEW, NOS from AMG, 14 pieces of wood part, very rare set in new condition……...i'm offering one set on this forum.

Location of the parts; France
Price for the amg wood door set : 4600 euros. i inform it's an original AMG set , not a reproduction

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, however thats very expensive for me. :(

·
Registered
560 sec (3)/ 280 SL / 190D 2.5turbo/
98 Posts
you forget in this set, there are 14 parts !...….so 4600 / 14 = around 330 euros per parts which is a normal price for 1 wood part, and keep in mind it's an original set from AMG, NOS, and it's very very rare set !!!

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,187 Posts
is there any documentation of its amg history?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
no, not of your car...i meant of this dudes wood

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Done some good progress on the car in the past few days, wish I had more time.

Got the euro lights wired up, I can now switch the amber position off and have only the eu standard whites, also got the rear fog light done, front fogs in the bumper also work in sync with the oem ones. The vacuum adjusters for the headlight height works also, used the vacuum line of the econo gauge, since it wont be used anymore for the instruments. So pretty much ready for the eu tüv inspection.

Had to give the trip comp instrument to my electrician for resoldering, when you move the cables once it s plugged in, it goes crazy, and shows dumb numbers and characters... He said this is usually for 30 year old stuff, and he 's quite certain that this is where the problem is, hope he s right. Even though I have a spare cluster with The trip comp, I m like to get this one working.

Got the dashboard back on, wasnt too bad, needed a bit of massage, but it went onto it s place more or less without any hassles, getting the trip comp brain in place was a little tricky.

N.B. those bits for the US market airbag instead of the glovebox, the tubes for the heating, and and underdash covering is somewhat underwhelming, as to how it s made to work. like a silly lego made up of so many pieces from crappy material, so not german like, wondering if it was actually designed by Mercedes.

I start removing the seats and getting the 2+2 wired up, and getting the vacuum hoses to the 2 front seats for the ortho seats. I did have to buy a new central locking pump, the one in the donor was already tampered with and was beyond repair, quite expensive, but hopefully will last for a good 30 years again. Hopefully I can get an appointment to my friend to weld in the bits for the 2+2 seats.

I m gonna rent a carpet cleaning machine and give the carpets a good thorough clean.

If anyone has any questions, about retrofitting, please feel free to ask, as it s still crystal clear in my head.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
2+2 seating wired up, orthopedic fronts as well.We re of with both the donor and the keeper to my bodyshop friend to have to consoles for the 2+2 seating fitted.

Progress has been good, loads of spilt coke and unknown substances cleaned from under the carpet, found a few dimes as well as an expired AMEX, and something that looked like hairband of some sort, as well as some unidentifyable things.

Hopefully we ll have good weather so I can start deep cleaning the carpets while the car is gone.

Removed the rear shelf, will have to work on the sunblind as it doesnt go out or come back in. Prolly just need to retension the spring and change the nylon cord that pushes it out. Need to rewrap it also as it s turned blue over the years.

Fitted a new shift lever also. New floor mats and footrests arrived today.

Getting there slowly.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
not slowly, your killing it...

my builds are long

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,551 Posts
The first time I stripped mine out I found sheets of postage stamps and evidence that the car had been to different countries by ferry, and maybe Finland once. And an expired gold credit card. Oh and some evidence it had been used as a wedding car once in Scotland.

No coke though, lol.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts