Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the car that I bought off BaT arrived yesterday afternoon, I started working on it once I drove it home. It drives really great, the interior is more or less as expected with just a few flaws but all in all it s in really great shape for a car that s done 145k miles. The paintwork not so much, but that was as expected and as shown in the pictures when I bought it. Quite pleased with what I got considering this will be a car that I d like to use more than my other hobby cars.

Yesterday I swapped the bulky US front bumper for the repro amg bumper (for those curious, the foglamps I found on an italian page, and are the same ones that were fitted to the 328/308 gts/gtb cars.), swapped the headlights for ones with yellow fogs which suit the black car really well imho, fitted the euro headlamp washers. Removed some wood trim for refurb. Removed some useless extras eg bluetooth phone system, and a fm modulating pioneer cd changer. Fixed some interior miscrepancies like wrongly installed rear door trim. Replaced dead bulbs. Installed the red dunno whats the name between the rear lights.

Tomorrow hopefully I ll fit in the amg steering wheel, and start wiring the trip comp, and the 2+2 seating. I ll also remove the aero 3s for my sec and see how the look on the sel. I ll swap out the non working auta el6000 antenna for one I ve refurbished, still need to get the little rubber bushing that it goes into.

Monday I ll get the euro rear bumper with amg repro spoiler and the ducktail spoiler back from the painter. I ordered some new dial faces as the ones from my donor are really faded.

Future plans fitting in the 300 hp ECE engine from the donor, if it doesnt need a complete overhaul as it smokes at the moment, stood for 10+ years, so just might need some movement. I not going into overhauling the engine if it s blown I ll just swap the tri y's and call it a day. I ve decided not to build in the HPF2 suspension as it seems like a real PITA getting it to work even in the donor, kinda like a female on peroid, sometimes it lifts sometimes it just doesnt.

Sorry for the long post, will update as I progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations bringing it home!

I too, like the amber fogs.. The overall look in a word: 'Sinister' comes to mind.

Great photos & update.

MBL
I just call it pimp ride, back in the late 80s early 90s pimps, dealers, and gangsters drove around in such cars.

Also funny as things the like red strip between the taillights were considered "tuner john stuff" however I think it really brings back those years, seems more in place now that you dont see every second car with this mod :)

·
Registered
1988 560 sec
679 Posts
Nice, you hit the ground running. Best of luck with your new ride. I also like the cobblestones on the side of the road in the picture very euro .

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,187 Posts
nice work, my friend actually almost bought the car in the same auction before you did...he went and met the owner and drove the car and regrets not pulling the trigger...keep us updated with the work and progress

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
564 Posts
Very nice. Was also the same look used in Miami Vice many times. I believe Calderon (Colombian drug lord) rode in one regularly

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC Black on Grey
1,888 Posts
Nice car! The condition of that pavement kills me. You would think that at some point someone would have said, "You know, If we pave the entire street at the same time it might be a good thing".

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
564 Posts
love that front bumper. And the amber fogs is giving my inspiration to get some yellow laminix film and see what it looks like on my Depo euro headlights foglight area

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the front bumper/spoiler with fogs still made/available? Any details on it?
It s repro, that I got hold of chance here in my country. There s a guy who makes them still. I have no idea if it s still available from AMG or not, would be nice to know, cos these repros are horrible in fitment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Got some work done on the car. I fixed the auta 6000 el antenna, it works flawlessly, only had to change the rusted together mast, saved me my spare antenna for some other time.

Also fitted the ducktail, now I just need to get it painted. Starting to look as it should. These repro fiberglass things are horrible, needs so much work to make it fit well. Arrgh.

Exhaust tips arrived also.

By the way anyone know if the wood on the door trim shown can be bought, aftermarket is good enough, I dont want the origial stuff for zillions of euros, prolly couldnt even find a set of originals.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That wood trim is usually so expensive. No cheap option that I know of.
Yws I know, doesnt hurt to ask though.

Could probably can get it fabricated and have it covered with the thin layers of burlwood by an antique furniture restorer. Might be worth a shot, labor here is is still pretty cheap compared to other parts of the world.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts