Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem, driving me crazy: The car starts, jumps to 1300 rpm, then settles on the 800/900. When in neutral it has problems to rev. Sometimes it stalls, but before this the econometer goes in red (but no revs), sometimes I am able to "lurk" it to rev. When put in gear (forward or reverse, no difference) more or less the same thing happens. The car will drive when idling (gas pedal untouched), but as soon as gas is applied it stalls. If i am quick to release the gas pedal, it will sometimes continue, but still only in idle.

My logic tells me that it is not a fuel/fuel filter/fuel pump problem, since I from time to time is able to trick it into higher revs (3500+). But this is just guessing. Any expert opinions on what to do?

Car is '87 model, european (german import). And a minor detail piece of information, ABS lights does not go on permanently (as pointed out as a way of diagnosis in another thread).

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,137 Posts
The econometer going into the red is indicative of a vacuum leak somewhere. There are lots of places where that could happen, I think you need to go around and check all the many rubber boots and hoses to look for cracks/splits.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
woa check every vac leak location, and you should also check idle control valve. That high idle is the cause of the issues from 1200 rpm in N to R and the huge jump it makes. You are burning out your tranny because of it. I just had a rebuilt tranny, 17 vac leaks, new filters EHA wires plugs rotor blah blah blah. After 6k into it, it is a dream! Spend 1k to do the intake manifold work, new injectors and seats and all the vac rubber r/r. A new tranny is about $1,400 and another $1,400 for labor. Do not cheap your way out, that rubber is old, the vac lines are old and it is HOT under that hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
I have the same problem, does your car do this when both cold and hot?
I don't think a vacuum leak should case stalling, not unless something else is wrong as well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts