Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560SEC
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, great forum, I'm learning lots, so thank you all for your contributions. I hope I can make some in the future as well.

I just bought a nice 1991 560SEC (are there any others?:D ). It has some signs of delamination in the rear window. My question: is delamination a result of water entry due to a failed window seal, or are delamination and water leaks independent phenomena?

Just trying to get my head around what I might have to get ready for :confused:

Cheers, and thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!

Thorsten
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,247 Posts
Don't know if there is a causal link here, but more often than not the two phenomena appear together. :(

Though in my case the rear screen was fine, but the lower window frame had nevertheless rusted through.

Not fun!

I paid about $1,400 for the repair.

If the screen can't be saved, you're going to have to add another $1,100 to the final bill. :eek:

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,202 Posts
Thorsten said:
Hi all, great forum, I'm learning lots, so thank you all for your contributions. I hope I can make some in the future as well.

I just bought a nice 1991 560SEC (are there any others?:D ). It has some signs of delamination in the rear window. My question: is delamination a result of water entry due to a failed window seal, or are delamination and water leaks independent phenomena?

Just trying to get my head around what I might have to get ready for :confused:

Cheers, and thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!

Thorsten
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Congrats to your car and welcome to the forum.
To edit your personal profile to include your car mod. and location, you can use the control panel on the top right.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice.

Mercedes Benz at www.mbusa.com used to sell the official 2 CD service manual for $ 20. Unfortunately it is not being offered at the present time.
We hope it's only temporary.

You can check the DIY thread above, or type your question into the 'search this forum' box on the top right. It will get you all archived post re. your problem.

You might try the Russian MB site. Don't put in a mod. or vin, click on cars and scroll down, until you get to yours: Êàòàëîã çàï÷àñòåé MB

P.S. Did you check the botton of the frame from underneath, when the trunk lid is open?

Good luck

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Your question....

MB is of the opinion that rear window delamination in a 560 SEC is much more likely with added tint, that it is with a untinted rear glass.

The rear 560 SEC glass is one complex piece of laminated glass - and so you know it is no longer in production, however it is still avaliable from MB at about USD$1100 plus seal.

There are no aftermarket replacements for the rear glass either, since aftermarket cannot re-create this complex piece of glass affordably.

Check to see if you rear window defroters still work - most delamination I have seen the deforster will still work - if the rear defroster doesn't work - check the defroster electrical connection at the rear glass, and clean as necessary since corroded terminal is the major cause of rear defroster failure either with or without delamination.

Delamination is casued by the laminated pieces coming apart - that's the white you see

Other than the lamination - the thin edges of the glass do not have a extra seal compund, other than the surronding external rubber gasket.

This rear glass is real tricky - it is very common at any shop, dealer or indenpendent, to have delamination occur again after re-installation of new rear glass - rember the replacement glass is now over 10 yrs old (last date of glass production) and very delicate.

MB has the glass, and MB has the seal - if you choose to have the delaer replace the glass - then the install, and the glass are covered under MB's shop and parts warranty.

That's about it - good luck !

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,202 Posts
Maybe to add that the original MB seal should be used with install.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
I see alot of SEC's where the delamination occurs on the passenger side bottom. It seem common. SEC rear glass is kinda like plywood. it's not just one piece of glass. it's 2 pieces with a thin film in between containing the defroster. If the seal leaks, water can get trapped in the corner, then over time the water works it's way in between the 2 panes of glass. It usually has a whitish appearance. nothing you can do but replace it. It's not cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts