Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450 sl UK spec +1986 560SEC UK sold for Export to Hong Kong has 220 KW engine
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I have fitted new Lemforder spheres,but the ride hasnt improved and if you put weight in the trunk it sags down so no self levelling,what was strange is although I lost some fluid during the fittment ,the level of the reservoir didnt seem to drop!
Any advise most appreciated.

Kind Regards Dan Gardner 1986 560SEC euro(220kw)

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
Others better versed will come in and give advice, but sounds to me like you need to do some adjusting with the valve that sits up and between the wheels. I too thought it was a simple job, and I guess usually it is, but we had to do some "upping" and "downing" manually to get things right. Can't help with the fluid not dropping in the reservoir. Are you certain the pump is working etc?
The guys who really know this stuff will be posting for you in a minute or so. In the meantime to a search of SLS and you will learn a ton!
G'day.

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
Or just remove the SLS and don't worry about it anymore...

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,468 Posts
Dan, try unplugging your icv so the idle will raise, or have an assistant do that. From under the rear of the car, disconnect the link rod that goes from the sway bar to the leveling valve and raise and lower the lever several times. This should purge any air in the system.

If it doesn't help, you may need to load the trunk with some decent weight before doing the purge.

Mike

·
Registered
1974 450 SEL Champagne Beige Metallic(Sold); 1986 560 SEL Champagne Metallic
181 Posts
Another quick and easy test is to remove the return (low pressure) line from the SLS reservoir and hold it in the top of the reservoir. Start the engine and rev at least 1500 to 2000 RPM. If you do not get any fluid flow, the problem lies within the SLS pump on the front of the engine block. It may be the driving interface cam/tab behind the pump, or the pump may have stopped working due to wear or debris. This is easier to check than crawling around under the car. Cheers, Ron

·
Registered
1997 SL500 40th Aniversary 1998 C230 2002 E430 sport 1987 420SEL sold 1989 300E sold
573 Posts
Sounds like the system isn't bleed properly.The way that has always worked for me, done about a dozen of them is to.( MB procedure is very close to this )
1)Make sure the reservoir is full.
2)start the engine
3)grab about 3 of your buddies, 190-220 lb guys work great.
4)have them sit on the trunk ledge, trunk open
5)run engine up to 1800-2200 rpm for a few minutes, you will actually feel the back of the car rise even with them on it.
5)done
6)drink beer with your buddies.
hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts