Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting on Maintenance CD's. But since its the weekend I would like to get started on servicing my new to me 1987 560 SEC.

So...

What type of oil and how much? ( I have no idea what been run in the car previously)

Tranny Fluid and how much?

Spark Plugs?

Regular Stearing fluid?

Regular Dot 3 Brake Fluid?

thanks for your help...

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
I can answer a few of those but asking questions on oil and such will open up a great debate.

Oil-I used royal purple 15w 40 I think it was. About a 100 dollars worth :eek: Manual will give specifics on how much (I think it was 8 Qt)
ATF-I used whatever Dexron III and again manual will give specifics (I think it was 8.5 L)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
here we go with another oil/fluid debate, i think royal purple is garbage, i'd use castrol synthetic. synthetics are better, what really matters is changing it frequently..

btw use the search button, i can guarantee you this stuff has been covered..

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
6 Posts
I would use a 15W40. Personally, I like Mobil 1.
Spark plugs, use what the vehicle was origionally built with. I think it is Bosch. Replace the wires, cap, and rotor at the same time as the spark plugs. This ensures good strong flow of electricity to the plug without compromise because of worn wires or cap or rotor.
Brake fluid type should be printed on the cap.
Dexron III sounds correct for the transmission, but I dont know for sure.
My memory banks have failed me regarding power steering fluid.

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents.

I did search and it just easier to ask a simple question on a new thread then to read through 1000 of debates on oil on other threads.

Why is it such a big deal to post stuff again that already has been covered when its easier to do then search/read through a gazzilion unrelated posts to find such a simple request?

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
here we go with another oil/fluid debate, i think royal purple is garbage, i'd use castrol synthetic. synthetics are better, what really matters is changing it frequently..

btw use the search button, i can guarantee you this stuff has been covered..
I don't know if its garbage but it is purple :D,

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Hi JJMAC1--

Welcome to the wonderful world of w126s, and a generally excellent and informative forum. Your questions are straightforward, and fairly easy to answer, I'll admit, but one of the reasons this forum is so valuable and informative is the vast library of threads in the archives. The search function is admittedly kludgy, but with a little practice, you can narrow your searches fairly effectively, to get something like what you want on the first try.

Yeah, it's probably easier for you to just ask the questions-- and yet this means you expect us to retype the words we put in over time and often through a decent amount of legwork of our own. So that's one of the reasons that it gets to be a "big deal" over time-- we're a tolerant bunch though, and we let things slide for new members.

In a way, it would be great to have a "best of" for certain types of basic questions, but that's what the DIY and other stickies is for.

BTW--

Oil-- your choice dino or synthetic. 7 - 8 qts. (Hengst or Mahle filter)
Tranny fluid-- standard Dex/Merc III 8 qts w/ torque converter (Elring filter kit)
Power steering-- standard stuff. I think 2 qts. (Mahle filter, IIRC)
Brake fluid--DOT3 or DOT4
Coolant-- MB or Zerex G-05
SLS-- Febi 2.5 liters for full flush
Differential (you have LSD, so make sure you use stuff rated for it) I used Mobil 1 75-90W.

For starters, a good place to get supplies and parts for you might be AutohausAZ. Beware that Autohaus often sells aftermarket stuff, some of which is crap. Genuine MB will be costly at the dealer, but you can get the real stuff through Parts.com. You'll need to know the real part numbers, which Autohaus uses.

Cheers--

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Thanks gents.

I did search and it just easier to ask a simple question on a new thread then to read through 1000 of debates on oil on other threads.

Why is it such a big deal to post stuff again that already has been covered when its easier to do then search/read through a gazzilion unrelated posts to find such a simple request?
i'm sure the information is there but if you can't find it you should definitely post. on the porsche forums no one search's and just posts questions so now the search engine is absolutely useless:surrender:

I don't know if its garbage but it is purple :D,
haha, i've never used it, but heard it's more suited for running on a track then road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts