Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The after market amp, constantly goes in to protect mode. Any ideas as to why? My plan is to remove the factory radio and rewire all speakers and and run new power and ground wire. Can anyone advice me as to how to remove the factory radio? Additioonlly I would like to add a subwoofer in the rear deck lid, where the first aid kit is, but I do not want to cut into the deck lid, does anyone know of a shallow enough sub to fit in the first aid kit location?

Thanks

Terrako

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Open the ashtray and remove the metal insert. You will see two Phillips screws holding the ashtray sliding assembly (with the woodgrain trim) to the center console. Remove these two screws. Use a thin long screwdriver and hold it as close to the radio as you can while turning. Then remove the sliding part of the ashtray. Now you should be able to slide your hand under the radio and push it out from behind.

This is how I removed the OEM radio on my 300SD to replace the fuse on the back of it. It did not seem to be secured with any other screws. Once in plays, the ashtray keeps it locked in.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
43,793 Posts
The after market amp, constantly goes in to protect mode. Any ideas as to why? My plan is to remove the factory radio and rewire all speakers and and run new power and ground wire. Can anyone advice me as to how to remove the factory radio? Additioonlly I would like to add a subwoofer in the rear deck lid, where the first aid kit is, but I do not want to cut into the deck lid, does anyone know of a shallow enough sub to fit in the first aid kit location?

Thanks

Terrako
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Also, jhodg5ck (Jonathan) has a great stereo install write up on his blueridgemb site.
You find the link is in his posts.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,279 Posts
Terrako,

Modifying the OEM sound system is a difficult task. Some members have been able to make new head units work with the rest of the system (with the help of experienced car audio installers...), but most have found it very difficult to swap out original pieces and make aftermarket units work, as you have found with the aftermarket amp that keeps shutting itself off.

If you don't know an expert who can help you out, you have basically two choices:
1. Replace everything (head unit, amps, all the wiring), which is a big job.
2. Fix or replace the faulty components to make the best out of the OEM system.

The problem with trying to replace OEM components with aftermarket units is that the OEM system does not have industry standard interfaces. On the MB "Premium Sound", 10-speaker systems, the head unit sends a line-level signal to the amps located behind the rear seatback. The amplified signal then travels to the fader control in the center console and then out to the speaker locations. There are capacitors on the speakers themselves to route the low frequency sound to the woofers (doors and rear shelf) and the high-frequency sound to the tweeters (dash and rear shelf). At no point in this chain is there a logical or easy place to put an aftermarket component. :(

Another forum member had a professional installer put a subwoofer in a bandpass box in the location of the first aid kit. Turned out very nice, but the lid had to be removed because it rattled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Open the ashtray and remove the metal insert. You will see two Phillips screws holding the ashtray sliding assembly (with the woodgrain trim) to the center console. Remove these two screws. Use a thin long screwdriver and hold it as close to the radio as you can while turning. Then remove the sliding part of the ashtray. Now you should be able to slide your hand under the radio and push it out from behind.

This is how I removed the OEM radio on my 300SD to replace the fuse on the back of it. It did not seem to be secured with any other screws. Once in plays, the ashtray keeps it locked in.
it's same for 560SEC

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,006 Posts
I have a spare set of Amps if you want to replace then and take it from someone who has taken his SEC completely apart and also put in a DVD/NAV system with all new power and grounds, it is NOT an easy task.

I had my car completely apart down to the bare metal and I still did not replace everything. I did run all new wiring though. PM me is you want to see my VLOG.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,006 Posts
Wait! This post is almost a year old..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts