Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A friend has a 560 SEL registered in 1993 south Africa.

It has an engine number 117 968 22025560 HV and the vin number WDB 1260392A313628.

I have read many posts on motors with a HV stamp. Can the forum experts give an opinion on this engine which has 135 000km.

I also noticed that the EZL is a 4 pin type.

Your thoughts and view on this engine ( power , performance etc ) will be appreciated

Thanks
C

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
220kW=300hp

HV stamp was on 86-87 ECE motors. When the whole lineup shifted to 10:1 across the board for the '88 model year the HV changed to E10,0

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks,

how is the performance and quality of the ECE engine compared to the latter E10.1 engine with the 8 pin ezl module.

regards
c

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
ECE is a hard charging motor. Somewhat more reliable due to 4-pin EZL and not the temperamental 8-pin.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

bringing up an old thread...but I am the originator...:)

so here is the question, Can the above ECE engine ( 200 kw ) be fitted into the 560 SEC with the 8 pin module ?

any issues that may be experienced with this combination ?

thanks
c

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

bringing up an old thread...but I am the originator...:)

so here is the question, Can the above ECE engine ( 200 kw ) be fitted into the 560 SEC with the 8 pin module ?

any issues that may be experienced with this combination ?

thanks
c
Hi Guys
I found the following sticker in the 560 SEL. a 220 kw ECE motor, with tri y"s but no knock sensors.

some time ago KRH indicated hat I could install this motor into a 560 sec and install some knock sensors if used with 8+8 pin module .

Question.
1.can I install the 560 sel engine into the 560 sec and leave out the knock sensors?
2. install 560 sel engine into 560 sec and use the 4+4 pin module. if this is an option how can I do the electrical conversion from 8 pin to 4 pin.,

your comments will e appreciated.

regards
c

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
First can you clarify what was your existing engine ?
I am assuming you have an 8 pin 560 with knock-sensors
If so then it is a simple swap by installing the knock-sensors to each side of the engine under the engine mount.
You should already have the wiring and knock-sensors from you existing engine to swap over to the new engine.

The only difference between an 8 pin and 16 pin is the latter EZL has knock-sensor function and it has that split second retard on the Trans upshifts (plug b -pin 2) to make the changes smooother under load.
The Euro RUF 300hp engine also ran a two wire Reluctor in the Distributor (no spring advance) like a 3 wire hall effect in a modern distributor to measure camshaft position (plug B - pin 1)
You can tell these Dizzi's by opening the cap and dust cover and seeing the Reluctor set-up and green wire feeding up into the underside of the Dizzi

With the 300hp engine you should be running the correct ECU for that engine as well and the correct 016 EZL (not 018) but others with 560 have swapped to the 300hp version without swapping FD over.
The 300hp Engines would not start if the EZL/ECU could not detect correct camshaft position as well as crankshaft position as an engine protection safety feature.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First can you clarify what was your existing engine ?
I am assuming you have an 8 pin 560 with knock-sensors
If so then it is a simple swap by installing the knock-sensors to each side of the engine under the engine mount.
You should already have the wiring and knock-sensors from you existing engine to swap over to the new engine.

The only difference between an 8 pin and 16 pin is the latter EZL has knock-sensor function and it has that split second retard on the Trans upshifts (plug b -pin 2) to make the changes smooother under load.
The Euro RUF 300hp engine also ran a two wire Reluctor in the Distributor (no spring advance) like a 3 wire hall effect in a modern distributor to measure camshaft position (plug B - pin 1)
You can tell these Dizzi's by opening the cap and dust cover and seeing the Reluctor set-up and green wire feeding up into the underside of the Dizzi

With the 300hp engine you should be running the correct ECU for that engine as well and the correct 016 EZL (not 018) but others with 560 have swapped to the 300hp version without swapping FD over.
The 300hp Engines would not start if the EZL/ECU could not detect correct camshaft position as well as crankshaft position as an engine protection safety feature.
Thank you KRH

the current engine is a 16 pin ezl module and engine is the high compression with 10 stamped at the end of engine number.

agree with the knock sensors installation with the swap. But if I leave out the knock sensors would that be an issue? and any serious problems to be experienced? We have good fuel here.

could you give a vie won the two questions below: appreciate and which of the options below would you suggest.
Question.
1.can I install the 560 sel engine into the 560 sec and leave out the knock sensors?
2. install 560 sel engine into 560 sec and use the 4+4 pin module. if this is an option how can I do the electrical conversion from 8 pin to 4 pin ( more reliable).,
thanks
c

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
The knock sensor function did away with the 4 pin EZL set up that required the manual version fuel trim knob in the engine bay in the false fire-wall that allowed adjustment of timing advance dependent on fuel octane.

To switch back from an 16 pin EZL to an 8 pin EZL requires swapping out wiring harnesses which is a major job.
But yes it can be done.
I would much prefer to drop the ECE engine in and connect up the knock sensors - much simpler task

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much KRH, As always appreciate the detailed response.

I will follow the suggestion to install the knock sensors.

I would imagine that the installation is straight forward.

if anyone has done the same knock sensor addition, will appreciate some pics

thanks
c

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
The knock sensors are a simple attachment to the side of block just below each left & right engine mount Bracket - much easier to see with the engine out - or from underneath the car if searching when the engine is still in the car as the mount bracket hides them if looking down from the top. I have pics on my home PC if you want me to post some up for a visual of what they look like

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
KRH
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing