Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
560 sel 1986
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the oppertunity of buying a porsche 928,5speed manual in very good condition,but no motor.i have a fully reconditioned 560 and would like to know if putting this beautiful,reliable almost bulletproof mercedes motor, instead of a second hand porsche motor with the 7 foot timing belt and the headaches and costs involved with porsche in australia,can go into the 928?this would be a project over time but i am interested in hearing from anyone who has a view on this or has done similar.thankyou,peter

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
No way, put in a 928 motor. There are so many companies that sell parts and midify the 928. The 928 engine is also a heck of a lot smoother than the 560 engine and they all have more power in Euro trim than the 560 SEC. The 928 Euro S had 300 hp from the factory in 1980 and kept that much or more power all the way through 1986 when they introduced the S4. The S4 had even more power.

Sure, the 560 motor will have less maintenance but I still would not do that swap. If you don't want to do the 928 motor. Put in a Chevy of Ford motor and have lots of fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts