Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a 560SEL in not bad condition - have a couple of things I need to sort out but generally a fantastic vehicle. First up is an intermittent rough idle - after reading countless posts on the W123 forum I decided to look for a vacuum leak while waiting on my new plugs and wires (thanks for the recommendations!).

Without even removing the air cleaner housing I found this while looking at the motor today. In case you cannot tell it is at the front top of the motor directly behind the distributer and in front of the air cleaner housing...

there are two vacuum hoses connected and a fitting on the blue end that LOOKS like something belongs there.

1) Anyone know what this is?
2) If so = what belongs on the blue fitting? I cannot see anything obvious near it that is dangling.
3) Could this be part of my intermittent rough idle/miss?

Thanks

RB

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just acquired a 560SEL in not bad condition - have a couple of things I need to sort out but generally a fantastic vehicle. First up is an intermittent rough idle - after reading countless posts on the W123 forum I decided to look for a vacuum leak while waiting on my new plugs and wires (thanks for the recommendations!).

Without even removing the air cleaner housing I found this while looking at the motor today. In case you cannot tell it is at the front top of the motor directly behind the distributer and in front of the air cleaner housing...

there are two vacuum hoses connected and a fitting on the blue end that LOOKS like something belongs there.

1) Anyone know what this is?
2) If so = what belongs on the blue fitting? I cannot see anything obvious near it that is dangling.
3) Could this be part of my intermittent rough idle/miss?

Thanks

RB
It's some kind of vacuum switch/modulator for the EGR.

Trace the EGR tube from the drivers exhaust manifold (looks kinda like a mushroom with a stick stuck in it), and it should be plugged into that. However, I'd just plug that hole in the valve and live the life of a free man.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's some kind of vacuum switch/modulator for the EGR.

Trace the EGR tube from the drivers exhaust manifold (looks kinda like a mushroom with a stick stuck in it), and it should be plugged into that. However, I'd just plug that hole in the valve and live the life of a free man.
I will try that...

And let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot.

RB

Ps. Here is the new beast... and it is a beast (a good kind of beast)

1986 560 SEL - 100,202 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts