Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: I'll make a separate posting with photos Thur. or Fri. on removing the 2-Piece Engine Cover on the SLK55.
===========================

At 1800 miles, my "Check Engine" Light came on. Also, I had noticed a high-pitched noise upon cold start-up that went away after about 30 seconds.

So I took the SLK55 to AutoZone and had them connect up their ODBII code reader. They do not charge for this service. (The connector for the reader is located up under the bottom left of the dash in driver footwell, near the hood release. Swing open the plastic door to expose the connector.)

The fault code read 2-occurrences of "P0104, Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent."

(BTW -- you can find the code descriptions on the Web at

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/dr_z_obd/dr_z.htm . You may want to Bookmark this page for future reference.)

From previous experience, I suspected a vacuum leak, so I removed the engine cover for the 1st time and sure enough, I found a loose vacuum line at one of the air control valves which certainly would explain the fault code and the high-pitched noise. See photos.

I connected the hose and took the car back to AutoZone where they re-connected the code reader and set it up for me to reset/erase the code. They are not allowed to do this, because apparently it is illegal for them to do so. Mpw with the code clear, all is well. The Check Engine light remains off and the noise is no longer present.

I'm glad I was able to find and fix the problem since for such a simple fix, I saved a trip to the nearest MB dealer to me in Las Vegas, 130 miles away.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts