Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK55
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a rattle i have, it happens between 1600 and 1800 rpm and is fine either side of that rev range and when the temp reaches 60c the noise has gone altogether.
It's a 2000 CLK55 with just 30,000 miles on the clock.

Regards David from Downunder

·
Registered
27 Posts
David, perhaps a little bit more info.... perhaps a guess about where this rattle is orignating? How about when you are cruising on the highways?

·
Registered
2000 CLK55
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
The sound seems to be coming from the front from both banks at the top of the engine, sounds like a diesel type rattle... maybe timing chain as it seems worse on overrun it happens in a very narrow rev range around 1700 rpm
As i said in the earlier post once the temp reaches 60c or so it's gone so it's only there for a short period (it's not tappet noise)I'm more curoius than worried i'm as the car has only done 30,000 miles i'm 53 and had a few including a 930 Turbo, WRX Falocn GT...etc although i enjoy this car concidering the low milage it's done i'v had more problems with this than any other car i'v owned it's been very dissapointing as far as reliabilty is concerned.
Anyway good day to you all
Regards David from Downunder....

·
Registered
2000 CLK55
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it wasn't the timing chain the dealership replaced that and no difference, they are going to spray some goo down it to clean any carbon buildup and we'll see what happens then

·
Registered
"2000" CLK 200
206 Posts
my car also has a bit of a rattle when accelerating between those revs. I asked the dealership and they said that noise is alright and is coming from the belt but i dont think they know what they are talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts