Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<br> I've seen that the SL was improved over the years - some exterior body and trim changes, but also some major mechanical changes. I've heard the following:<br> <br> 1992 - more powerful engine<br> 1998 - first year of 3 valve engine<br> 1998-99 - 5 speed automatic<br> 200-2001 - AMG body cladding standard<br> 2001 - AMG wheels standard<br> <br> I've also heard the 3 valve engine is less powerful, and is basically a 'smog' motor, as opposed to the late 4 valve engine that made more power, but wasn't super LEV. True, the 3 valve cars are a little quicker, but I suspect this is due to the 5 speed tranny. I've also noted lower build quality on later cars. My friend has a 2001 and the orange peel in the paint is shocking for a car that expensive! <br> <br> My point is, I get the feeling that a '97 is the year to own- last year of the 4 valve, yet latest and best to date.<br> <br> Anyone have any thoughts on this?<br> <br> I get the feeling that MBZ had to hold the line on price, so the cars were 'decontented' In fact, I think this is true of all MBZ products, especially the C class, but that's another topic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bruce:<br> Man, I put a whole bunch of stuff together for a guy and faxed it to him, but I don't think I saved any of it. I worked on a 98 today, it still had the 119 engine in it. I like the 119 engine, it's a very tough motor. The 113 (3 valve) is a pretty good motor too, but I like the response of the 119 engine better. I'm thinking 99 was the first year of the 113 motor in the 129 SL, I can check. I know the timeline for the 722.6 5 spd trans you have wrong. The 722.6 was introduced in the 129 with 119 engine Sept 1995, this is still the transmission used today in the R230 SL. <br> Gilly

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<br> Gilly,<br> <br> Thanks for the info - this helps a bunch. It's interesting that the 119 engine was carried along so late - I didn't know that. I'll check the MBNA website, although a cursory look there didn't give me the kind if detail I was looking for. I called MBNA's tech line once - got a pretty knowledgeable guy there, but it took a while to connect. I might try that too.<br> <br> Good luck, and thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, from what I see, the 99 was the first with the 3 valve (M113) motor.<br> Maybe your not getting through the website correctly:<br> Go to mbusa.com<br> Put your cursor on 'models' and you'll get a drop-down menu.<br> I selected 'SL', although it seems like any model you select will get you where you need to go. When i selected 'SL', I had a menu pop out to the right, which now only has 'SL500', select that.<br> On that screen, put your cursor on 'features' and down towards the bottom of that drop-down is '15 year model overview'. <br> Click on that, and from there I think you'll find most of the info you need, if you pay attention to the menu options. The earlier pre-95 stuff takes alot of concentration to figure out what to click.<br> Gilly

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow,...

...what a useful bit information! I have been trying to acess these stats for a while, and the source was so close! Thanks, guys.<br>
<br>
If I could now only find some place that shows color options for the different model years, I'd be an extremely happy camper. Do you have any leads on that, too?<br>
<br>
Tarik

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 91 500SL/Driver SIde WIndow Stuck

My Driver side windw is stuck. Consequently, it appears, that the soft top also won't close completely. Fearing it might jam, I relowered the soft top. Thank God it didn't rain.<br>
<br>
Anyone know what's wrong?<br>

·
Registered
1987 560sec
297 Posts
acctually some 24v 300sl's have a 5 speed tranny. my friend has one, but it's a euro ver...

acctually some 24v 300sl's have a 5 speed tranny. my friend has one, but it's a euro version, and i agree with the build quality, i have a 1999 sl (look at gallery, my beauty) and i had lots of problems with the interior fixtures and such. and coloratuib if the seats from the heating, looking to change them under warranty.

·
Registered
'96 SL500
4 Posts
This is the most detailed site that TOTALLY DISCRIBE every aspect of the history of the SL along with so other interesting facts....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sl/history.htm

MikeD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts