Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SL White with blue interior
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 90 500SL (131,00kms) is having a bit of a farty problem at the moment. Once a while during hard acceleration there is a 'rotting egg' sulfur smell that comes up into the car.

I have read a few posts on here: some say it's the catalytic converter, and others says ti's the distributors and rotors.

Would someone please shed some light on this problem? What is the culprit and how should I go about fixing it?

I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance,
Sappster

·
Registered
1984 300D
473 Posts
I think it is your catalytic converter. The distributor, and rotors will not cause a rotten egg smell.
Call your dealership and see if the catalytic converter is under recall.

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
peter811 said:
I think it is your catalytic converter. The distributor, and rotors will not cause a rotten egg smell.
Call your dealership and see if the catalytic converter is under recall.
I too believe it is the cats, I believe I’ve heard the exact same complaint here before... Isn't that about the maximum service life one could expect from the cats..?
A good opportunity to swap over to the sport cats at the same time..? Probably cheaper than MB cats too... But sorry, I don't know about the availability in your country... Unless you are in Europe...

PS. OT: Monsters ROCK!!! ;-)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Whoa there, the smell comes from the mixture not being correct, usually too rich. Before you spend money on cats check for codes or have a local tune up shop sniff your tailpipe and check the mixture. Maybe it's as simple as a bad O2 sensor or an EGR valve sticking open at idle. Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
1992 SL500
21 Posts
Like your last comment Eric - what an entertaining Eurovision contest. Definitely putting Finland on the music map... Lordi, Lordi, Lordi...

I am a long-time rock fan, and loved to see these guys beating out all the pretty-boy-girl-rapper-pop-type entries.

Steve.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankx guys... I will explore all the different options and see what I can do.

Unfortunately, the tensioner on the belt seems to have died at the same time *sigh* So one more thing to do!

I recorded Eurovision.. havent had a time to watch it yet.. I wanna see these Monsters everyones been going on about.

Thanks again.. I will leave a post when I have figured the problem out.

Sappster :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Dan,

When you say the mixture is too rich, do you mean the octane level is too high?

In Oz we have 94 Oct Premium and 98 Oct Premium. Most car enthusiasts use 98. So that's whats been going into my 500SL.

I have other friends with the same car - but it doesnt seem to causing the sulfur smell.

I will look into it though.

Thanks for your reply.

:)
Sappster.

DANSMB said:
Whoa there, the smell comes from the mixture not being correct, usually too rich. Before you spend money on cats check for codes or have a local tune up shop sniff your tailpipe and check the mixture. Maybe it's as simple as a bad O2 sensor or an EGR valve sticking open at idle. Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sappster, no I mean the air/fuel ratio that is controlled by the brain box. Usually the problem is one of the sensors sending bad readings to the computer.

Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DANSMB said:
Sappster, no I mean the air/fuel ratio that is controlled by the brain box. Usually the problem is one of the sensors sending bad readings to the computer.

Dan
Thanks Dan.

So O2 sensors?

Sappster

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overvoltage Protect-Relay module-Fuel

I had the same smell coming from my 91SL 300. Since I did not drive it much; I thought it was normal. The dealer changed the over-voltage protect switch and the car preforms better and the smell disappeared.
Part#201-540-37-45

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
You should see the "check engine" if the O2 went bad. The perfect ratio for air/fuel is 14.7:1

If you have more air, you have the 'lean' mixture. If you have more fuel, you have the 'rich' mixture. When the O2 goes bad, the computer will 'guess' the amount of air and fuel causing lean or rich mixture.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks RedSL and Inguyenh, much appreciated.

I am waiting for my merchanic to be free to change the tensioner on the car. It's been sitting in the garage for a week now.

After that is done, I will get on to the farty part of the car!

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts