Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
ML320 2003 VW CC 2010
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this 500 and it was sitting for about 10 years. Needed a new fuel pump, fuel filter, oil change, new petrol and spark plugs. When I first spin the car over it starts for a second and dies. It does this a few times then finally starts, runs for like 5 min then slowly starts to die and finaly shuts off. As the engine heats up smoke starts to come out of both sides of the motor near the exhaust pipes. The vavle covers were leakin oil when I first got the car so I'm assumin that's what causes the smoke. I do notice when the smoke gets intense is right when the car shuts off. This is my first petrol car all my other Benz are diesel so I'm new to this kinda engine. All help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Year? Location? On a cold day even a perfectly running engine needs extra fuel. Yours seems way lean at first, then ok, then it either goes way lean or way rich. Fix the valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
ML320 2003 VW CC 2010
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Year? Location? On a cold day even a perfectly running engine needs extra fuel. Yours seems way lean at first, then ok, then it either goes way lean or way rich. Fix the valve cover gaskets.
its an 1985 and Im in PA reading area. The valve cover issue is fixed as far as i can tell. There was new gasket with the car when I bought it. New gasket has been put on the car. The fuel i put in was just the cheap 89 octane i believe. I have heard that these engines like higher octane like 93. could that be a reason for this issue?

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
91 Posts
one of the ways is hole on top of the distributor cover - adjusting it adjusts the mixture. However, this is NOT recommended unless you really know what you're doing. I mean, I'm not sure how much you've done besides what you've written, but a car that's been sitting for 10 years cannot be in good shape mechanically. you might need a valve adjustment as well...

·
Registered
ML320 2003 VW CC 2010
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one of the ways is hole on top of the distributor cover - adjusting it adjusts the mixture. However, this is NOT recommended unless you really know what you're doing. I mean, I'm not sure how much you've done besides what you've written, but a car that's been sitting for 10 years cannot be in good shape mechanically. you might need a valve adjustment as well...
Can these cars valves be adjusted? I was under the impression they are hydraulic valves so they don't ever need adjusting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1... Get a cd manual for the 126..10 20 $$$ on the internet
2...Research how the Bosch fuel injection works.. (Google?) important
3...Don't fool with adjustments to the fuel injector system.
4...Did you take the tank out and look inside to see if it looked clean??
5... Did you get a genuine Bosch fuel pump??? Lots of knock offs from CHina..
6... Did you change the fuel filter that is in the tank??
7...Learn how this engine starts and runs with the temp sensors.that operate the electronics..which operate the idle control valve..ect..
8...once you figure all this out solving problems become easier..

For got to mention that I'm just finishing up an 85 500SEL that sat in the farmers barnyard for 6 yrs.And I went thru all of what you are going thru plus..
Rebuilt fuel dist. fuel injectors..some temp sensors..dist cap,rotor,ignition wires. recomended plugs.. copper core...idle control valve.. the list goes on...Now I'm doing the timing chain and guides (117K miles).For this only use MB parts...
Have fun and you better get a second job...

DON...
74 280C...130K....(owned this car for 25 yrs).
77 450SL... 82K
85 500SEL...117K

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Have fun and you better get a second job...
Ain't that the damn truth..lol. The best thing I ever did for this car is find a MB mechanic that was not with the dealership so as to get better prices, but still had years of experience. You can't beat a good mechanic who knows what their doing with these cars. Good luck.

·
Registered
ML320 2003 VW CC 2010
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep only got genuine bosch parts and I do have the cd manual. I wasn't aware of a fuel filter inside the tank??

·
Registered
ML320 2003 VW CC 2010
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the problem may be solved! My friend and I took a look at the Benz last night. The car started, ran great the started trying to die. My friend opened up the air filter manifold and found that the choke was still flat against the intake. When he pushed down on it the car ran fine. But as soon as he let off the choke lid shut and the car died. So I'm assuming this is where my problem lies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts